AuthorTopic: Electrical fault, not starting and rough running  (Read 759 times)

Offline Bob Ajob

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Electrical fault, not starting and rough running
« on: February 11, 2007, 15:22:56 »
Hey all,

I was right looking forward to driving to the pub meet last Tuesday, I had charged the battery the day before as it was flat. Good to go, except when trying to start her up, all I got was whir whir whir dead. Most electrics then not working, some came back on with the heater, but was all a bit odd.

Yesterday I took the leads off the battery, they were all covered in a film of corrosion, nice green contacts. I cleaned the battery terminals with a combination of drill mounted wire brush and steel wool, and the leads going onto them, and the lower terminal block for the additional stuff. Also cleaned all the spade connectors before re-assembling all.

The engine has always sounded rough when running, though now when I started her up today, sounds great, must have not been having very much leccy going through to the coil etc. The starter motor now sounds a lot healthier too. And there was me thinking I disconnected something when last in the dash...

So, if you're having problems with starting, and rough running, check your battery contacts before doing anything else.

Rob.
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Electrical fault, not starting and rough running
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 16:59:19 »
always start with the easiest, i spent hours trying to start my V8, and al it was ,was the spark plugs not tightened in :oops:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal