AuthorTopic: Is silence golden?  (Read 2826 times)

Offline 07DefenderSeb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Is silence golden?
« on: February 06, 2007, 14:07:49 »
MC is very quiet today. I hope the club membership is not almost entirely comprised of Bernard Matthews Norfolk battery turkeys  :shock:
If at first you don't succeed...  cheat.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 15:08:03 »
Well, their batteries certainly ran out yesterday  :roll:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline spyke_boi

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 21:43:05 »
:(biglaugh):  :(biggrin):  :(biglaugh):  :(biggrin):  :(biglaugh):
Spyke

92% of teens have switched to rap music if you are part of the other 8% put this in your sig.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Is silence golden?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 00:43:08 »
It just reinforces what I have always thought about battery farming for poultry.
Inhumane and leaves the stock wide open to disease and abuse.
Sorry, but I've never bought any of BM's products. I've been inside some of the sheds on his and other farms and it is not a pleasant place to be.
Free range or organic for me.

Offline DaveS

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 14:13:03 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"
It just reinforces what I have always thought about battery farming for poultry.
Sorry, but I've never bought any of BM's products. I've been inside some of the sheds on his and other farms and it is not a pleasant place to be.

I agree-I would'nt want to go in the sheds, noise and stink must be awful.

Thre was a battery hen farm over the road from my workplace, the stink awas awful when they cleaned out the muck!

Thankfully it has gone now!
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD
Kia Sorento XS. (SWMBOs car)
Renault Megane CC(my everyday car)

Offline 07DefenderSeb

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 14:23:52 »

Quite right! Intensive farming of any kind is revolting. Proper animal husbandry is essential [for our health as well as that of the creatures], so we should be prepared to pay for it. It's worth it for the taste alone.

I'd rather buy a £8 chicken once a week or fortnight than three £3 chickens in the same period.

On several occasions i have almost told people off and given them a lecture in the supermarket for putting battery 'value' eggs and £3 battery chickens in their baskets  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  Normal milk is produced intensively as well...

It's a favourite topic of rant for me. I can feel myself starting to rant...

Hurray for organic and free-range animals and products of ALL sorts - they are happier and more comfortable, and I am a happier and more comfortable omnivore as well  :D

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 14:51:17 »
Couldn't agree more :D
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 17:32:10 »
On a related subject...

What about this muppet who complained about the worker 'kicking' a turkey?? In the footage (pun not intended  :roll: ) I saw, he simply pushed it back into the shed with his foot. It was stretching the limits of truth to call it kicking. Certainly not anything to get concerned about. Some people just need to get out more.

LSP may recall that we buy as much of our produce locally. We can pick the chicken while it's still running around if we want. We have even seen our beef and pork while it still has legs! I'm all for knowing where what we eat comes from. But intensive farming will always be with us and events like the BM one will continue.
At least this one seems to have been handled better than the foot & mouth outbreak.
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 22:30:51 »
Quote from: "V8MoneyPit"
On a related subject...

What about this muppet who complained about the worker 'kicking' a turkey?? In the footage (pun not intended  :roll: ) I saw, he simply pushed it back into the shed with his foot. It was stretching the limits of truth to call it kicking. Certainly not anything to get concerned about. Some people just need to get out more.

LSP may recall that we buy as much of our produce locally. We can pick the chicken while it's still running around if we want. We have even seen our beef and pork while it still has legs! I'm all for knowing where what we eat comes from. But intensive farming will always be with us and events like the BM one will continue.
At least this one seems to have been handled better than the foot & mouth outbreak.

To a degree, I will agree with you. They certainly have responded a lot more quickly to the outbreak.
What it needs is more people to say to the big supermarkets that they are not happy with the way that their food is produced. Consumer power.
As V8 Money Pit is no doubt aware, there are loads of people high quality producing high quality foodstuffs in Norfolk, as there are all over the country.
Without geeting on a soapbox, check the net for farmers markets, localmeat and vegatable producers and you will be surprised at what you get, especially the quality.
Free range chicken or Tesco chicken. Free range everytime.
Local breweries for Norfolk, try Woodfordes of Woodbastwick!

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 18:01:32 »
Without geeting on a soapbox, check the net for farmers markets, localmeat and vegatable producers and you will be surprised at what you get, especially the quality.

And often cheaper too.

Mmm....... I remember (or maybe not!) a rather pleasant few pints of Nelsons Revenge  :lol: But Nog is by far my favourite  =P~
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 21:08:45 »
Where I used to live a battery hen farm went up in flames and hundreds of chickens got burnt to death. The smell of roast chicken was amazing though.

I have always said that if I could survive on being a veggie I would as I HATE the way animals are treated. I was at a market in Hereford once and the guys rounding the sheep up were shaking bags behind them and forcing the last few sheep onto thier lorry.

Before anyone says anything, I was a veggie once for a month and I ate all the right food and still lost a stone in weight in 4 weeks. Ther isnt a lot of me to start with a 1 stone is dangerous for me. It did open my eyes up to other food though like veggie burgers etc. yummy.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
Is silence golden?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 21:14:27 »
Quote from: "muddyjames"
Where I used to live a battery hen farm went up in flames and hundreds of chickens got burnt to death. The smell of roast chicken was amazing though.

I have always said that if I could survive on being a veggie I would as I HATE the way animals are treated. I was at a market in Hereford once and the guys rounding the sheep up were shaking bags behind them and forcing the last few sheep onto thier lorry.

this is because sheep are stupid and shaking a bag at them is better than the old way of electric prods to load them :lol:
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline 07DefenderSeb

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 10:17:32 »
Quote from: "beast5680"
this is because sheep are stupid and shaking a bag at them is better than the old way of electric prods to load them :lol:

I would happily take these now redundant cattle prods and employ them in the supermarket when i see plebs putting rubbish in their trolleys.

Perhaps I could use a points system:

2 second blast with the cattle prod for normal milk
5 second blast with the cattle prod for half dozen battery eggs
10 second blast with the cattle prod for 1 battery chicken
10 second blast with the cattle prod  for intensively reared pork

So, for example if Mrs Pleb puts a dozen eggs, a battery chicken and two packets of pork chops in her trolley for her family she'll be rewarded with a 34 second blast from my re-used cattle prod  :D  :shock:

I am aware that this email is politically incorrect, but then rules are made to be broken aren't they?

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 17:37:16 »
Quote from: "V8MoneyPit"

And often cheaper too.

Mmm....... I remember (or maybe not!) a rather pleasant few pints of Nelsons Revenge  :lol: But Nog is by far my favourite  =P~

Nelsons Revenge, nice. Nog, sweet! Adrmirals Reserve, makes my tongue go furry and my head fuzzy!
Check out their home brew kits!

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 17:40:10 »
Quote from: "07DefenderSeb"
Quote from: "beast5680"

I would happily take these now redundant cattle prods and employ them in the supermarket when i see plebs putting rubbish in their trolleys.

Perhaps I could use a points system:

2 second blast with the cattle prod for normal milk
5 second blast with the cattle prod for half dozen battery eggs
10 second blast with the cattle prod for 1 battery chicken
10 second blast with the cattle prod  for intensively reared pork

So, for example if Mrs Pleb puts a dozen eggs, a battery chicken and two packets of pork chops in her trolley for her family she'll be rewarded with a 34 second blast from my re-used cattle prod  :D  :shock:

I am aware that this email is politically incorrect, but then rules are made to be broken aren't they?

I was always told that 'rules are for fools, and for the guidance of others'.
Perhaps not the best motto to live by, considering my vocation, but it has saved a few people getting points! :wink:

Offline 07DefenderSeb

Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 08:45:21 »
Was it Douglas Bader who said "Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"?

I'm a lawyer, and as i'm sure the fuzz on MC will know - one should never under estimate the stupidity of fools  :roll:

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Is silence golden?
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 08:47:55 »
Quote from: "07DefenderSeb"
Was it Douglas Bader who said "Rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"?

I'm a lawyer, and as i'm sure the fuzz on MC will know - one should never under estimate the stupidity of fools  :roll:

Einstein said that two things were infinite, the universe and the human capacity for stupidity,  and that he wasn't to sure about the universe
--

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal