AuthorTopic: Hi-lux front axles  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Frogmorian

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hi-lux front axles
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:40:19 »
Have just failed mot for umpteenth time cos of leaking front seals, i replaced the seals but the ball-joints are pitted and need replacing. Have been told that ball joints are part of the axle sothe whole axle needs to be replaced or the ball joints re-coated. Anyone else experiance this prob and what solutions can you offer.  :(  MOT less

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
Hi-lux front axles
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 17:14:17 »
the easiest option would probably be to find:

a) second hand good complete axle (easy enough to change over)
b) a less strict MOT station who can see that this is most likely just a minor thing and not something that would compramise your saftey, or that of others..!

..my front swivels dont look to have seen lube for quite some time, but the innards seem fine..

good luck

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline MONSTERTRUCKMAN

Attack Member
Hi-lux front axles
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 18:24:25 »
yes i would have to agree.      go for a good secondhand axel and keep your old one for spares
hilux mk1 with mk3 2.4d engine. bobed 18 inches, full soft top, 9 inches of lift, full exo cage with swing out tyre carrier, front tubular winchbumper with x9, rock sliders, rear tube bumper, 5 speed box, front truetrac and rear arb lockers, twin transfer case adapter with 4.7 crawler gears,20 forward and 4 reverse gears, 38 inch super swampers , rear disc brake conversion, transmission disc parking brake, 5.29 ring & pinnions ,rear bench seat,hand throtle,custom storage boxes, custom made snorkel,onboard air compressor,cb radio,twin bateries,split charge system,diff guards, low profile gearbox mount.30mm wheel spacers
re-built mk3 front axel

Offline Frogmorian

Attack Member
Hi-lux front axles
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 09:52:54 »
thanks, it fails cos the fluid leaks onto the brakes but to be fair the mot station told me to jet off the worst and it would pass which is what i did but i will still prob change the axle as it leaks badly :D  with MOT

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
Hi-lux front axles
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 13:43:03 »
agree, would definatley look for a replacement sooner rather than later, last thing you want is less-than normal compramised braking when you need it!

TIP - if you get a second hand axle clean it up, grease and paint it while everything is easy to get at  :wink: (refer to my post on nipples..)

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal