AuthorTopic: Losing Gearbox Oil (& finding it again)  (Read 5548 times)

Offline baldrick

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Losing Gearbox Oil (& finding it again)
« on: September 30, 2003, 23:18:34 »
Hi,

The gearbox on my S3 is leaking oil (Surprise, Surprise  :roll: ), but i found where it was going when i checked the level of the transfer box and got _alot_ of oil out of the level filler.

Could a nice person tell me what part no the seal is i should be ordering, any other consumables i may need when i strip out the transfer case to get to the intermediary seal and how much of a pig the job is gonna be???

Many thanks,

Ed

baloo

Losing Gearbox Oil (& finding it again)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 23:52:25 »
if u get a set of gaskets it will cost u about £5 and u can take the bose apart and reassemble it.
U will need a rear output seal for the gear box (this has gone thats y u have alot of oil in te transfer box and non in the gear box.) and 2 output shaft seals.
basicly ring up john craddocka dn explaing what u r doing and they will send u the parts. full kit is about £25.
taking out can be a sod as u need to take out from insidethe cab.
seat box transmition tunnel and even the steering wheel some times as it gets in the way of lifting.
rent and engin crane. about £10 a day and will save alot of swearing and injurys.
u have to split the gear box and transfer case to get to the seal. this involves taking the bottom plate off the tcase. then the transmition break assemblyoff so u can wiithdraw the intermediate gear shaft. then take out the intermediate gear and u will see 3 nuts. these are released along with the ones on the outside and they u can split the boxes apart.
take the castleated nut of he rear output shaft, theres a lock tab washer there. tap down the tab and then use a drift to knock the nut round. there is a tool but they are not common.
remove the output gear and the iol thrower and u now can see the seal. pull out tking care not to damage the seat. then replace. tap into place with soft faced mallet.
before fitting back smear the seal with grease as I have had these burn ou in the first few seconds and had to do it all again.
then reassemble.
seals on the ends of the output shafts on the tcase are similar procedure.
remember to pu the felt seals in the ends of the tcase output shafts.

any problems just send me an email and I will try and help.
Baloo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal