AuthorTopic: THINKING ABOUT BUYING A RANGE ROVER  (Read 6177 times)

Offline 90Mike

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
THINKING ABOUT BUYING A RANGE ROVER
« on: December 30, 2006, 15:45:20 »
hi guys have got a real urge to sell my sj's and get a range rover but could do with some help deciding which one. i have got a wish list that may be a little bit hard to fulfil on a budget of about £1500 to £2000.
1) range rover or discovery?
2) needs to be used as a everyday car for me and my wife and kids.
3) be able to do some green laning with the family?
4) would love a v8 on lpg but i think the insurance would hammer me i am only 25 and live in the city.
5) do lpg underside tanks effect off roading capabilty?

would appreciate any help or your thoughts on my situation.
MRM Auto Centre
Unit 6 Central City Industrial Estate
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Services, Repairs and very soon MOTs also available rent a ramp for a day or on an hourly rate PM me for details.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 15:53:20 »
Ok at your age you may struggle to insure a V8 but you could look for a Disco 2.0 MPi, slow I know but your age counts against you.

TDi, the 200TDi is better than the vm but the 2,5 Vm for the right money is a good enough car, RRC only. Disco diesels are plentyful and if looked after a good lump.

Discovs RRC is a personal choice, I prefer RRC but the Disco has more kid-space in it.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline 90Mike

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 15:59:42 »
hi mate thanks for you honest opinion will take this into consideration for my next purchase.
MRM Auto Centre
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Services, Repairs and very soon MOTs also available rent a ramp for a day or on an hourly rate PM me for details.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 16:59:43 »
Dont buy a VM!!  Yeah they drive nicer than the 200tdi, but they break a hell of alot easier!  This is from experience!

200TDi discovery is an awesome vehicle for the money you have to spend, and you can also buy some extras, you will find it is also better on fuel than a v8 on lpg.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline 90Mike

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 18:05:53 »
hi mate thanks for your comments this is what i have been hearing the past couple of days the 2/300 series would suit me better but what do you think range rover or disco?
MRM Auto Centre
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Guardian.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 18:28:39 »
v8 is cheaper to insure than the tdi, think its less desirable for the thieves.
i didnt realise this untill it wasto late or would have got a v8 and gassed it.

Offline 90Mike

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 18:38:07 »
well i would never have guessed that might have to start looking into it a bit more i really like the agressive looks of the range rover with big wheels and tyres but the disco is a little more practical for the family
MRM Auto Centre
Red Lane
Coventry
CV6 5RY

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
  • I'm BACK..possibly..LOL
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 18:47:58 »
for the budget your talking 200 tdi disco, V8 disco WITH Lpg... or a v8 LPG'd RRC with some off road toys - right time to buy !!
Be afraid. Be very afraid
YAM YAM SQUAD
Life's a journey - so remember to pay FULL fare!

Offline jpc

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 19:47:18 »
im on my 4th rrc im now 29 and paying £480 full comp but when i passed my test i was 25 and i insured my first car (which happen to be a rrc A reg V8) and that cost me about £800 TPFT . hth :D  :D
www.mdocuk.com

98% of the internet population has a MySpace, if you're the 2% that isnt self-obsessed, paste this into your sig.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 13:40:22 »
Well I'm 30 something now and this year I paid £330 on Julies 300TDi RRC with big intercooler, £380 on the 5.0 LSE and about the same on Blue, 3.9 with plenty of toys but that had to be limited mileage, so I think when they are looking at how stealable it is (yes a TDi is more likely to get nicked for parts) they will also look at where you live/how likely it is to get nicked anyway.

My suggestion, pick up the auto trader/LRO and choose cars you fancy at random, then ring up for quotes, like Guardian said it's a bit too late once you've bought one.

You might also find that a V8 is insurable, but also consider a 2.0MPi, even just to put you on for a while untill you are renewing your insurance, having owned a 4x4 previously can also help lower the premium.

Back to which car, I like RRC, they come with more toys and can still be found unmolested, they are comfy and quick, the auto is a pleasant surprise if you hate autos, the manual can be a bit crappy when it's getting on in life, so a test drive is essential.

The Disco has the extra kid-space I mentioned, they are as popular as anything and there's plenty of choice, so if there's something wrong with the one you're looking at you can walk away.  Plenty of extra toys although most of these are common to the RRC.

Both cars are very capable off-road, both handle similarly but the RRC has the edge on-road due to the lower C of G, but it's a close call.

I'd suggest you look at both TBH, if you are like me you'll know when you've found your perfect car :)
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 18:13:50 »
We have a RRC which SWMBO drives, whilst I have had a RRC in the past I now drive a Disco (V8 not gassed... :shock: ) and I have to say I prefer the disco. It feels like a barn on the inside compared to the RRC. It's a 3 door series 1 version which I believe has a slightly diffirent layout inside compared to a 5 door (?).

Either works off road and on.

When people ask me why I drive a thirsty V8 I remind them I don't smoke, don't drink much... and I don't go with dirty women (SWMBO has cleaned her act up! :lol: ) so it's a lifestyle choice. Cost of insurance/running is something I accept with that choice.

Skibum

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 13:18:48 »
Well i reasoned the saem with the LSE, I wanted it, end of story but I like running it on LPG because it's a bit greener, the conversion cost me £1250 plus my time, which with the tank I've got makes is a reasonable price but I still have to do 1,500 miles to justify the cost  (IIRC).  That said I drive it a lot because it's so cheap to run.

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
RRC or Disco?
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 15:17:51 »
Hello Guys,
I've had a 200 Tdi Disco for 11 years, have owned a RRC V8 and now have a 300 Tdi RRC so am well qualified to comment on this subject.

From what I read, you need a family car and a soft-roader.
Don't go for a V8 even on LPG, they are not as economical as a Tdi and most people who own a V8 on LPG "HAVE" to say they are better so they wont look complete dicks having spent anything up to £2K on a conversion,
they are not better than a Tdi for sure and are a liability in water.
The LPG tanks either need to be located in the boot, losing valuable boot space or slung under the body, leaving them open to damage off-road.
I would not consider a V8 on or off LPG for these reasons.

Of the Tdi's.............
The 200 Tdi is a better engine, it is more responsive and it will out excellerate a 300 Tdi and give better MPG,
I get around 32 out of the 200 in town and 35+ on a run,
the 300 Tdi is a bit less at 27-28 in town and 33 on a run.
they both pull the caravan at around 28-29 mpg.
The 300 is more refined and less noisey but the 200 is the best engine in my humble opinion.

As for the body style, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....
it's up to you,
I perfer the RRC's looks but it is smaller inside than the Disco,
with the added space for extra family bits and the ability of most Dsicos to seat 7 I'd say the Disco is more practical.
There is a better choice of Discos around, you should find a good one.
there are so many of them within your price bracket.

I have had my Disco through my children's growing up years and it took everthing we threw at it and more.
with families the rear door is a very important point, the RRC' bottom tailgate is great to sit the kids on or have them stand on for a better view and makes a great seat or table when outdoors,
the Disco has the one big door, this gives better access for the bigger bits and is esier to climb in and out of.

If you eventually decided to start going off road and want to kit up your Land Rover for more adventurous trips then the Disco is the one to get,
I know there are bits and bobs available for thr RRC but the Disco stuff is widespread, covers every possible thing and the choice is awesome.

The Disco is the better car for families. I know!!!

Good luck with what ever you choose, and get muddy! :D  :D  :D
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: RRC or Disco?
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 15:51:28 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Ron"

From what I read, you need a family car and a soft-roader.
Don't go for a V8 even on LPG, they are not as economical as a Tdi and most people who own a V8 on LPG "HAVE" to say they are better so they wont look complete dicks having spent anything up to £2K on a conversion,
they are not better than a Tdi for sure and are a liability in water.
The LPG tanks either need to be located in the boot, losing valuable boot space or slung under the body, leaving them open to damage off-road.
I would not consider a V8 on or off LPG for these reasons.
:D

I only HAVE to say the V8 is better because it is.  I can work on it at home for peanuts, it is WAY better to drive than the TDi, my LPG tank sits in the spare wheel well, so I havn't lost any space.

Sorry, V8 a liability in water? have you ever seen a diesel when it ingests water, big holes in the block where the rods come through, exhaust manifolds that crack due to thermal shock.

It's a mtter of personal choice but whilst the TDI is very popular and for good reason, don't think that those of us with a V8 have a screw loose somewhere, maybe I just don't like driving a tractor :wink:

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 15:55:02 »
would love to work out how people think that the RRc is smaller on the inside??? same floorpan - different roof - thats it!!
doors are interchangeable -apart from the outer skin having a different moulding style..same width as disco....so can someone PLEASE  explain where the extra size comes from!!
YAM YAM SQUAD

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 16:23:18 »
Oi ! - range rover ron !
Just because you happen to prefer driving diesels doesn't mean you have to go slagging off V8's
There are plenty of people on here (myself included) who would happily argue with you all day long over the benefits/disadvantages of either engine - each to their own I say  
Having owned lpg'd V8's I must say though that you are talking carp about them being dearer to run than a diesel
Also, my 4.6 HSE is only marginally dearer to run than the TD5 Disco it replaced when you take the 5p/litre difference in fuel costs and cheaper servicing into account
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 16:53:39 »
Quote from: "bezzabsa"
would love to work out how people think that the RRc is smaller on the inside??? same floorpan - different roof - thats it!!
doors are interchangeable -apart from the outer skin having a different moulding style..same width as disco....so can someone PLEASE  explain where the extra size comes from!!

Actually the Disco body is about 200 MM shorter than the RRC, given that the bumpers are in the same place and the Disco has the spare wheel outside.  It's more the feeling of space, the Disco is taller (so more top-heavy) particulalry in the boot.  I think it's just Disco owners trying to make up for owning the poor-man's Range Rover :wink:

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 16:52:31 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Quote from: "bezzabsa"

Actually the Disco body is about 200 MM shorter than the RRC, given that the bumpers are in the same place and the Disco has the spare wheel outside.  It's more the feeling of space, the Disco is taller (so more top-heavy) particulalry in the boot.  I think it's just Disco owners trying to make up for owning the poor-man's Range Rover :wink:

PMSL
actually got waved at by a P38 owner today  :shock:  - think he was jealous :D:D:D
YAM YAM SQUAD

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
Hey
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 17:08:40 »
Hey guys
I never "Slagged off" V8's just gave an opion.
I know a lot of people with V8's and after spending thousands on a LPG conversion they tell everyone how well it is, how much they save and in my opinion they are just covering a big mistake, it will take them 5 years to recoup the expenditure.
I think if you want economy you go TDi, if you want power you go V8, you can't make a V8 economical and you can't make a Tdi go like a rocket!
Any engine will go tits up if water gets in, the thing is to stop it getting in and the deisel is known world wide for being better with water than a petrol engine, FACT-NO ARGUMENT.
I know this because I have travelled the all over world for the last 15 years, working in my capacity as a Mechanical Field Service Engineer.

As for working out wether the RRC is smaller than the Dsico...
I don't have to work it out, I have both vehicles as I stated in my post.
I can park them next to each other!
I've had two V8 RRC's, I currently own a 300 Tdi RRC and a 200 Tdi Disco, the Disco I have owned for 11 years.
Again the Disco is bigger. FACT-NO ARGUMENT.
Take a tape measure and put it at the bottom of the rear door, then see what it says at the top, you WILL find it says bigger on the Disco.
I can wheel in 2 wheelie bins standing up into the back of my Disco (lid foled back), try that in a RRC.
The Disco also has it's spare wheel outside not in the boot.
With the spare wheel and the side covers on a RRC and a Disco with 7 seats there is way way more cubic capacity in the back of the Disco.
Sit in a RRC and turn you head and look backwards,
do the same in the Disco....no contest.

The V8 is an awesome engine, I have owned V8's, done a lot of work on them, it is a great engine and easy to work on, all in all what our friend is looking for would be best suited to a Tdi Disco.
That's my opinion.

As I say I have both vehicles on my drive and I am very pleased with what my Disco has done, I do however prefere the look of the RRC to the Disco. In the end it is all down to personal choice and we all have the right to an opinion.
Cheers.
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
doors
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 17:36:17 »
Oh I forgot,
The doors,

Try holding a Disco door up to the back of a RRC, I think you will find they are NOT the same size.
Even park next to a Disco in the RRC or visa versa.

The bumper to roof on my Disco is approx 46" in old money,
The bumper to roof on my RRC is approx 40" in the same units,

When I went to school 46 was always bigger than 40, although it was a long time ago!

Keep taking the pills.............

cheers
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline bezzabsa

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 17:58:51 »
Doors (ie the 4 on the side of the car ) are the same interally and externally - the only difference id the swage line disco cuts in and out within about an inch - RRC cuts in and out about 18 inches apart. only size difference is on the roof where it raises to enable people to sit in the rear .
YAM YAM SQUAD

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
Doors
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 18:04:04 »
So where the roof raises makes the Disco BIGGER than the RRC ???? !!!

As I said FACT - NO ARGUMENT
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline barnhill4x4

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 18:43:56 »
How can you say that a gas'd V8 is not as economical as a tdi? And £2k for the conversion?
 I have a 200 series 3.5 v8 disco, it cost me £660 to convert as I did it myself 4 years ago. Since then it has saved thousands in running costs a quick calculation works out that I have spent £12k on gas over the last 100k miles that would have been close to £30k if that was petrol.
  As for being less economical than a tdi? Well I used to Export Minis to the USA, I regularly drove from South Wales to Southampton towing a trailer with a mini on it. That trip in my mothers tdi Disco would cost me £60 and in the V8 on gas............£38.  

FACT!   I rest my case

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
fact
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 19:39:30 »
Hi there

So are you trying to say that a V8 is cheaper than a Tdi to run??
Now I know your are EXTRACTING THE URINE.

we are trying to talk sense here!

My mate who is a Jag specialist technician has just got a P38 and a local gas conversion centre quoted him at £1,800, thats pretty close to 2k.

In 2009 the government is bringing the price of LPG into line with petrol and Deisel. then it will become a straight choice between Tdi & V8.
I think that will then make most V8's history.
LPG is not more economical than petrol, (at the moment the goverment is supporting the low prices) litre for litre it is far worse and when the governemnt pulls the plug on the price of LPG in 2009 people will drop it like hot cakey thingies.

Anyway that's my last post on this subject, we could be debating for ever.
It's a personal choice, but the facts don't lie.
Personal choices sometimes overlook the true facts.

Keep taking the pills and do what the people in the white coats tell you.

Happy pancake Tuesday

cheers
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline v8kenny

Attack Member
Re: fact
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 21:30:23 »
Quote from: Range Rover Ron

In 2009 the government is bringing the price of LPG into line with petrol and Deisel.
From this date future DUTY increases will be the same as petrol or diesel - it will still be around half the cost as it is now as they will all increase at the same rate
I think that will then make most V8's history

Errm.........................no it won't - nobody but nobody runs a V8 if fuel economy is any sort of an issue - they drive them purely for pleasure, power and performance and that's the whole point you diesel freaks miss
I LIKE running V8's and that is totally MY business unless you are wanting to pay for my fuel  :wink:
You LIKE running a diesel and that's fine by me - I ain't about to start lecturing you about it - that's YOUR business  :roll:
I think you may also find that it is just the rate of increase in duty that will be the same as petrol/diesel - not the overall cost
It will still be about half price as they will all increase at the same rate  :wink:
The nice part of living in a small town is that when I don't know what I am doing, someone else does

Offline banditman

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 22:53:36 »
"PMSL
actually got waved at by a P38 owner today  - think he was jealous "

Not surprised...you are a Bandit owner after all
 :lol:  :lol:

The fact that a V8 cuts out before it ingests non compressible liquids is a built in safety valve, and should never be seen as a problem...ever

picture the scenarios for a mo....

My mates V8 splashed through a puddle then stopped

My mates 200 tdi got 200 yds into the lake then stopped

my mates 300 tdi got 300 yds into the lake then stopped

my mates RRTDV8 got 500 yds into the lake then stopped

now picture the outcome (in order)

a) £1.48 full tin of Tesco WD40 ...ooooh that sounds lovely again

b) My God, bent conrods ouch ...£1000.00 ...ooooh that sounds like a
    loveley diesel again

c) pooo ...electrics tried their best to get us through, but we nowhave
    knackered conrods and cylinder head.....£1800.00 later and it once
    agin sounds like a decent diesel

d) just sell the house

so you see, even without LPG, at £1.48 the V8 is the best option........

Yes, I have been drinking, but it ain't rocket science, now is it :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Bobby...... V8 Bobtail Classic RR :-)
Harry......Husqvarna TE450 Enduro

Timmy......955i Triumph Speed Triple - now sold :-( why can't we keep all toys??
Billy...'72 Series 3 V8 but now sold :-(
Rueben.......'98 Bandit 1200 now sold :-(
Hang Over.... '87 Classic EFI Rangie (now on'tuther side ot'ill :-(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal