AuthorTopic: 2 OR 1 PIECE HEADLINING ????  (Read 4564 times)

SPIKEY

2 OR 1 PIECE HEADLINING ????
« on: October 21, 2004, 22:56:16 »
Hi to all !! (my 1st post).

I have a '88 3.5 E.F.I.  with the headlining missing. It has no sunroof, and has air-con.
Could any-one tell me if a 2 piece headlining will fit, as I have been offered one at the right price.

I have had the car for 9 months now, and with the cold weather approaching I don't fancy condensation dripping down on me !!

The car is Ascot green with a green vinyl covered roof, is a 4 speed auto, and was first registered to a company in Saville Row West 1 with the registration number GMR 1.

Could any-one also tell me if the '89 door panels will fit?
At present the car has beige cloth interior with the single speaker door panels. I would like to install a beige leather with Vogue later panels.

The only tasteful addition that I have made is fitting 5 spoke Disco alloys.

The car has never had a bull bar, side steps, a tow bar or any "lets drill holes " accessories fitted to it in 16 years apart from original light guards.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Spikey.

Offline SteveH

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 09:12:27 »
The two piece headlining should fit, though the holes may not line up if its a fibreglass jobby. As far as I know the door trim should be ok aswell.
Sounds like a nice motor, dont forget to put a picture up :)
Steve

Back with net access again :)

Used to own:
85' RRC 3.5 V8 D968 DFP

My Gallery www.4x4prejudice.org

This isn't an office, it's hell with fluorescent lighting.

SPIKEY

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 19:35:07 »
Cheers Steve.
                      I am collecting it to-morrow ( Saturday ) so will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply.

All the best,

Spikey.

P.S. No digicam at present but will see what I can do.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Doors
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 19:36:32 »
There are 2 types of door to identify, visible hinge and concealed hinge.  They are NOT interchangeable! Not in an afternoon anyway.  The hinges are different, the door posts are different, the doors are different, the linings are different and the door furniture is different.  To fit the later interior you will need to modify the inner skin of your existing doors or change the doors, A posts, wings and decker panel!
Sorry

P.S. a tow bar is not an accessory, it's a way of life.  For a RRC it protects the rear of the car from grounding and from being run into by blind b******s.  The Range Rover was always designed to tow and the mounting points are built into the chassis just as the wiring connector is built into the loom.  A good second hand Land Rover original would just finish your car off nicely! (and I might know where there is one)
But seriously, as a fan of modern classics I do like to see an original car kept that way, after all if the original owner had tret the car like a dispossable item it wouldn't be around now so we shouldn't treat classic cars like they just came out of the factory either.  If ours hadn't been modified already I would keep it original.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SPIKEY

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 21:35:56 »
The Headlining is finally in!!

Fitting was really easy, it is a 2 piece fibreglass job, with NONE of the holes lining up with mine.

My advise is the following ( to fit a secondhand lining );

1,Remove the parcel shelf and fit the rear section first.
2,When fitting the front section,fit the sun visors first using a pointed tool(ie a screwdriver with a point on it ) to locate the speedclip holes that the screws locate to.
3,Screw the grab handles on next.
4,Finally,( in my case ) drill the crossmember in the roof and fit the 4 plastic clips.
5,Sorry - the 2 interior lights and the rear speakers are a doddle.
6,Sorry 2 - I have lost my rear view mirror - the lining I bought did not have the holes drilled in it , so a modification in the form of a 'screen mounted one is now required.

The job is now done and it looks great.

It's not a job I would like to do again on my own.

Thanks to Frank from Equicar in Wolverhampton for a good deal.

All it needs now is a good clean from my grubby fingers!

Cheers,

SPIKEY.

Offline SteveH

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 22:06:57 »
Glad it went in ok ;)
Steve

Back with net access again :)

Used to own:
85' RRC 3.5 V8 D968 DFP

My Gallery www.4x4prejudice.org

This isn't an office, it's hell with fluorescent lighting.

SPIKEY

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 22:18:51 »
Thanks Steve.
                     I think next time that I would rather change the following;

THE GEARBOX !!! AUTO !!!

Only joking mate - fiddly jobs and me do not agree.
Big nuts and bolts and WD make my day !!

Cheers,

SPIKEY.

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 22:26:47 »
Headlinings. My most hated job in the world.

The old plastic material ones held on under the windscreen and rear window and also steel bars across the roof. You had to get the tension right.

Oh joy. Then you got finger prints on it.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal