AuthorTopic: another wheel stud question  (Read 1094 times)

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
another wheel stud question
« on: December 21, 2006, 21:55:43 »
what are the stud sizes on a series 2a?
and does anyone make a stud that has got a closed end on it (so when its fitted you cany see the threads) to fit a 2a. ive seen them on defenders but not series.

cheers guys

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
Re: another wheel stud question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 22:40:41 »
Quote from: "mark.yellow.series.3"

and does anyone make a stud that has got a closed end on it (so when its fitted you cany see the threads) to fit a 2a. ive seen them on defenders but not series.

You can get different wheel nuts for 2A's- some like the s3's where the thread is visible and some double ended where the thread is hidden. Is this what you mean?

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 22:46:14 »
On our Series IIa, H suffix, so quite a late one, we have the larger Series III type studs and nuts, M16 stud with 1 1/16" nuts.
I have recently learnt that this change was introduced with later Series IIa machines such as ours with H suffix chassis number in 1971.

If you've seen closed end nuts on a defender, the question is do they have the same studs as a Series III? I think the answer is yes - can anyone confirm? Of course you'll recognise the nut size as 27mm...

Here's a snippet of info from a recent post on the Series II club forum:
Quote from: "Series II club forum"

Series 2 & 2A to suffix F (1958-1969) use 9/16" BSF studs and 15/16" nuts (well, that's the nearest equivalent to the actual BSF nut size used). Series 2A suffix G (1969-1971) used 9/16" BSF studs and unique 1 1/16" nuts. Series 2A suffix H (1971) and all Series 3 use larger M16 studs with 1 1/16" nuts.

Rob
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline philbert

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 08:46:30 »
once upon a time you did get closed end studs.
matt lee did supply them but not any more
i believe he got them from wrington engineering but they dont do them anymore.
i have looked for a supplier but cant find one hence my post about drilling out my IIa hubs to fit later studs and blind nuts.

hope that helps

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 16:44:38 »
Quote from: "tomarse"

You can get different wheel nuts for 2A's- some like the s3's where the thread is visible and some double ended where the thread is hidden. Is this what you mean?

its the ones where the tread is hidden, i want these because the exposed thread type nut is causing the exposed threads to go rusty, and i keep them copper greased, but after a sesion in the mud they start to go brown with rust.

and in case anyone had notice my truck is a series 3, but for some reason it has series 2 hubs :?

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 11:58:43 »

its the ones where the tread is hidden, i want these because the exposed thread type nut is causing the exposed threads to go rusty, and i keep them copper greased, but after a sesion in the mud they start to go brown with rust.

and in case anyone had notice my truck is a series 3, but for some reason it has series 2 hubs :?

So why not just buy some of these nuts? You could still get them when i bought a set for my truck a few years ago... or am i missing the point somewhere? ;)

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 13:44:12 »
Quote from: "tomarse"

So why not just buy some of these nuts? You could still get them when i bought a set for my truck a few years ago... or am i missing the point somewhere? ;)

i didnt know if you could get them in series 2 thread (what ever that is ).
where did you get yours from?

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal