AuthorTopic: Terrano buying advice  (Read 4098 times)

Offline aaron

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Terrano buying advice
« on: December 11, 2006, 16:26:38 »
Any hints or tips on buying a terrano 2 would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks
Ford ranger, daily driver.
Porsche 924 ongoing project, yet to drive!!
Suzuki X90 off roader.........also a project!!!

Offline Jonathan M

Attack Member
Terrano buying advice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 17:52:35 »
Ok, first a plug for www.nissan4x4ownersclub.co.uk where the majority of members are owners of terrano's or the illegitimate brother known as the Maverick  :D and who have a wealth of knowledge about the vehicle.

Where to start. Dependable, relaible, comfortable.

Faults, weakish clutches between 1996-2001, shows itself as obvious clutch slip accelerating in 4th/5th at motorway speeds. Engine is reliable, its used in taxi's and had timing gears so no chain/belt to replace, spares are plentiful and if driven carefully can give 30mpg, but 28mpg is a more realistic day to day consumption. Go for an intercooled version due to the slightly better power provided. MAF sensor can fail, leading to loss of power etc, easily fixed.

Gerabox, no real problems, ditto for the rear LSD differential, very handy when towing, greenlaning etc. One nuisance is the auto free wheel hubs, that have a sacrificial "snap ring" that er, snaps, when the 4wd is used on firm dry surfaces. prevents transmission wind up, but also means 4wd won't. relatively easy to fix, or manual hubs can be bought from Milner Off Road. younger vehciles don't have any FWh fitted at all, and it doesn't effect fuel economy. My 2001 doesn't have them.

Front suspension is independent, and front wheel alignment can be a pig, with a need to reset ride height & suspension angles to get rid of excessive wear on inner tyre edges.

Older ones can rust, so check for tinworm.

Off road, very good. there is a little scope to lift the vehicle by raising the front suspension through adjustung the torsion bars, and fitting new springs on the rear, but the terrano isn't really catered for by a lot of aftermarket stuff. At its best when used as a true all rounder, day to day car and greenlaner on the less severe stuff.

Hope this helps.
Nissan terrano 2 SWB Kumho tyres hella lights

Offline aaron

Attack Member
Terrano buying advice
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 16:43:13 »
Thanks Jonathan thats a great help!!! All being well i should be getting my new toy/work van this weekend. Its only an S plate ex waterboard commercial model but  its a step up(i hope?) from a normally aspirated, leaf sprung toyota hi-lux! I see pro comp list a 2"lifted rear spring for this model, how far can the front be raised on the torsion bar with-out causing suspension geometry probs? Any idea????????????
Ford ranger, daily driver.
Porsche 924 ongoing project, yet to drive!!
Suzuki X90 off roader.........also a project!!!

Offline Jonathan M

Attack Member
Terrano buying advice
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 18:48:20 »
From suspension can be raised easily by about 35mm, maybe more, the torsion bars do sag after a while, so I'm talking 35mm above standard, your vehicle may start at a slightly less than normal ride height. You will then need the steering & front suspension alignment resetting to deal with the lift.

I would really advise joing the club as mentioned above, Ok it is £10 per year, but it is the biggest Nissan 4x4 club as far as I know, and my technical knowledge is really quite superficial, on the owners club site are nissan orientated mechanics etc who can give a really detailed run through of most things.
Nissan terrano 2 SWB Kumho tyres hella lights

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Terrano buying advice
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 14:03:21 »
Jonathan,

Thanks for this, I am looking to trade my swb GV in for a 7 seater and a terrano may well be th beast I'm looking for... Discos look expensive and tatty for money!

Was looking at one today when this Terrano 2 caught my eye, real high spec for low money!
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
Terrano buying advice
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 16:05:06 »
Hi Boggert, I got a Terrano II 8 month ago & love it to bits, I've had no problems apart from 1 leaking wheel cylinder which cost £18.90  :D & poss a rear diff problem at the minute :( which will be getting fixed soon what ever the cost :cry:
Look around mines a 99 V & only had 59K on the clock. They are also holding their price well to :D You can get 2"-3" suspension lifts for them & the same for the body
Happy hunting :D
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Terrano buying advice
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 19:19:10 »
Quote from: "SWEETY"
Hi Boggert, I got a Terrano II 8 month ago & love it to bits, I've had no problems apart from 1 leaking wheel cylinder which cost £18.90  :D & poss a rear diff problem at the minute :( which will be getting fixed soon what ever the cost :cry:
Look around mines a 99 V & only had 59K on the clock. They are also holding their price well to :D You can get 2"-3" suspension lifts for them & the same for the body
Happy hunting :D

thanks for that...

I hev just looked at a 2001 Y reg SE with electric everything  :lol:
Got 55K on the clock, full leather interior. To be honest I was impressed with it and it drove very well. It has a few marks but I guess I'll add a few more while on the lanes so I'm not too worried.

The best bit is they have offered a good PX for mine with a bid wad of cash as well! :lol:

I'll let you know how I get on!
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

Offline SWEETY

Attack Member
Terrano buying advice
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 19:38:51 »
Forgot to mention but the SWB's can get a rust blister bellow the B post on the weld seam, mine has got this put after a poke about I think it's mainly surface rust & will be easy to fix & make it look factory finish.
I would join the Nissan club as mentioned above as there is loads of info & it's one place you can get a good work shop mannual for the Terrano II.
Let us know how you get on M8 :D
I don't suffer insaity ! I enjoy it !!!

Disco 2 V8 powered

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Terrano buying advice
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 08:04:49 »
Going to speak to the garage today! I'll let you know how I get on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal