AuthorTopic: Petrol to RISE !!!!  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Andy.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Petrol to RISE !!!!
« on: September 25, 2003, 19:51:15 »
Well thought it was to good to be true at the last bugdet  :evil:

Another rise to make the UK the dearest in Europe  :twisted:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Re: Petrol to RISE !!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 23:40:46 »
Quote from: "Mr Sheen"
Another rise to make the UK the dearest in Europe  :twisted:

Didn't we already have that honour?

:evil:
--

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
Petrol to RISE !!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 23:48:25 »
yeah we probably did  :evil:

All the V8 owners amongst us seem very quiet on this subject maybe they are out busking on some street corner  :lol:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Petrol to RISE !!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 00:08:22 »
more likely they're crying too hard to be able to see the screen for the tears ...

Although, given we pay twice as much as everyone else I'm wondering how the hell the government can even vaugely claim to be working on "our" behalf...  seems every week there is some new opportunity to get shafted royally...

I mean, when the green party say that fuel prices are too high, it's about time to listen really.

Can I vote for Baldrick?  I mean, things seemed to be OK when he was in charge and Blackadder was king :|
--

Offline richardb

Attack Member
Petrol to RISE !!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 08:48:10 »
Should vote for Guy Fawkes

He was the only person ever to enter the Houses of Parliament with true intentions!!
His: Monty - 1994 300 Tdi ES
Hers: Nelson - 1996 TDi S

Offline Moose

Attack Member
Petrol to RISE !!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 20:16:39 »
I heard they tied his kn***ers to big ben bell, I wish we could do the same to the present gov
Chris Gorvin

Shiny Blue Crew 002 -2004 Discovery TD5 'Monte'
Shiny Blue Crew 012 - 2002 Suzuki Jimny 'Jimbo'
2002 Avondale Rialto 550-4 'Dopey'

ICQ 337908510
www.off.road.club4x4.net
www.northmidlands-doc.co.uk
http://community.webshots.com/user/shinymoose

Offline baldrick

Attack Member
Petrol to RISE !!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2003, 11:03:25 »
Thanks for the show of support Daz.

I nearly spat out my meths when the first newsreader said 5p a litre...after that shock 5p a gallon doesn't seem so bad......well 'ish.

Ed

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Petrol to RISE !!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 10:15:24 »
OK.. far be it from me to defend the fuel price increases (I drive a 4 Litre V8 !), but compared to many countries in Europe, we are not as hard-up as we might believe.

The road tax for a Discovery in Denmark or Holland (for example) would make your fillings fall out in fright...  the cost of TUV testing in Germany is scary too.

I'm all for cheaper fuel, but they *will* find somewhere else to get the money if they drop it.

If they did, then those of us who own more than one vehicle would be complaining at the £1000 road tax we have to pay a year....     You can't win.   By applying tax to fuel, the people who use the roads most, pay more.....  There is an element of fairness there.

The thing that *really* upsets me, is that a large proportion of the revenues from fuel and VED don't actually go into transport.... if they did, I wouldn't mind paying the tax quite so much

:?
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Petrol to RISE !!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 13:03:37 »
My point exactly tim..  or at least, my feelings...  (I don't recall saying expressing them)

I'm fed up with being fed gobshite that the current policy to tax the bejesus out of car use, put speed cameras everywhere, congestion charges, toll roads and so on are either ""environmental" or "neccesary to pay for transport".

We have a laughable public transport system in this country, and since most of it is private and rather underfunded by public resources I don't think that much of the "road tax" (in whatever form it is collected) goes that way..  And since the last kyoto (sp?) accord was both [bollards] and not going to be achieved anyway, it's not an environmental act.

It's simply to get money into the coffers, fair enough.  Only a) this is not what they say it's for and b)  I'd like there to be an alternative.  Currently I have *no* way to get to whereever I need to go than by car.  I could walk the 30 or so miles into Manchester, but that's not too convienient.  As for public transport, it is actually cheaper to buy, tax, test, insure, and drive a car into Manchester than it is to take the bus.  The fact that driving would also save me 3 hours a day is purely co-incidental.

This government, just like the last one has everyone over a barrel, and all we can do to stop them is..  well vote for them and complain to ourselves over a lack of choice I suppose....
--

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Petrol to RISE !!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2003, 15:57:11 »
It won't actually affect me that much now as my mileage has dropped right down, a tank of fuel lasts me 2-3 weeks normally. Until Feb this year though I was spending £150 - 200 a week on diesel :( Very soon all but one of our cars will be tax exempt :)

As for public transport, if I want to get to college 17 miles away by 9am by car I leave at 08:20, by train (station is 5mins walk) I would have to get a train at 07:05 and change trains in Blackburn. Guess I'll be sticking with the extra hour in bed :)
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal