AuthorTopic: spiting and farting 3.5 efi?!?!  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Adcelco

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
spiting and farting 3.5 efi?!?!
« on: November 22, 2006, 11:28:43 »
Hi Guys!!!! I really wana get into off roading and my dad has given me his '86 3.5 EFI range if i can get it going...... Its been sat in the garage for about 6yrs with nothing done to it, i checked the oil and water put a battery on it and she fired up straight away. It will tick over for a short time then stall, if you try to rev it it stalls, sometimes it will tick over for a miniute then stall. If it had a carb on it i think i could fix it but i have no idea when it comes to fuel injection. Someone in the 'pub' said try the air flow meter, looks like that is opening and closing fine when it does manage a very small rev(dont no if its working right though).. I live in shaftesbury dorset, does any no anyone who can help near by or any suggestions on what i can do?? Please help if you can, i would love to have this beast in my collection but she is only mine if i get it runnng..... Please please help!!!! :?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 13:54:49 »
6 years? bin the petrol and try again with fresh, also try injector cleaner before yo do owt else.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Adcelco

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 13:47:08 »
Ditched the manky old fuel this morn and put 20ltrs of fresh in and its still the same!!! Its like its starving of fuel, does anyone know where the main fuel filter (could be blocked?!?!) is and what about the fuel pump??  I assume its electrical but should it run all the time with the igniction or just when the engine is running!! i cant hear it going.. Any way of testing the fuel pressure??  Im starting to pull my hair out wiv the dam thing!! thanks for the help so far, love the pic of your Range!!! :D

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 18:15:30 »
On an EFi the puimp is in the tank, on yours you have to drop the tank to see it.  When you turn the ign on the pump should prime, then time out until the engine starts,then it runs all the time again.

The fuel passes through a big filter fitted behind the RHS rear wheel, so it's covered in c***.  You'l probably find the hoses past their best too, if not the steel pipe itself.

The fuel then runs to the engine where it enters the fuel galery that supplies the injectors, at the end of this (back of engine) it meets the pressure regulator.  One side of this sees engine vacuum to keep the pressure at a constant level compared to the inlet.  Check this pipe too.
From there it returns to the tank at atmospheric pressure.

You can check the pressure of delivery easily by using a pressure guage, if you T into the delivery pipe you will see the pressure as controlled by the regulator.  If you only fit the guage to the delivery pipe you will see the stall pressure of the pump.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal