AuthorTopic: timing trouble  (Read 338 times)

Offline gtomo2

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
timing trouble
« on: October 28, 2006, 20:17:58 »
had a go at getting my disco runnig sweet. ita a 3.5 v8 efi got the revs down to about 800 turned the mixture down as it wqas runnig rich and turn the dissy. its now runnig nice and smooth and under normal loud pedel it revs ok but and there is always a but if i blimp the loud pedel or floor it from idle it cuts out also when i start her up she revs to about 1500 rpm then settles down again. but if i turn the dissy back it dont start. it has lpg but this is on petrol its slightly underpowered on lpg and a bit rough. So over to you lot any ideas
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
timing trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 01:39:08 »
Get it running on petrol first, ignore the LPG.

LPG like a very good spark so close you plugs up to 27 thou rather than 30, make sure your leads and plugs are like new, avoid resited plugs is you can ie BP6ES not BPR6ES.

The rotor and dizzy capo should be geniune Lucas, not hong kong fuey as the pattern parts often leave a bigger air gap and on LPG this will cause problems.

Timing, don't advance it permentantly, that's my advice, or learn to swap exhaust valves in your sleep.

Fit an advance processor, they have come down to about £100 (less if you know where to shop) and will make up about half the power loss on a single-point or draw through system.  A multi point is less economical but looses no power.  Put it this way, my LSE can spin it's wheels on LPG, how much more power do you need?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
timing trouble
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 08:10:20 »
Thanks for that
Have changed to dissy and rotor arm for lucas ones. Spark plugs are next to do as they are the wrong type (got the "r" ones :roll: fitted at the moment). And its the petrol side thats giving me the problems. Which is what i want to sort as i would like it to start in the morning. then i will look at the lpg.
Have been looking at the atuo advance kit for the lpg. Will be going down that route when i have got it though the mot.
Thanks
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
timing trouble
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 12:15:03 »
Your engine should still run on petrol with the R plugs, this means resistive and so they include a surpressor.  Unfortu atley so do a lot of leads and you only need one or the other to be surpressed.  The resistance is a handicap on lpg so I go without it, giventhe choice.

If you are feeling flush I can recomend the iridium plugs, BPR6EIS, note they only come resisted but are so good you don't need to regap them and they last a healthy time too, but manily give a nice fat spark :)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal