AuthorTopic: Rover V8  (Read 4800 times)

Offline ooheck

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rover V8
« on: September 29, 2004, 21:52:17 »
Does anybody know if there is a shortened bellhousing available to fit early rangies and auto gearboxes. I want to reduce the overall length of the engine and transmission, to enable it to be fitted into a project vehicle.
I haven't got one yet but am presuming the gearsticks travel straight down and are not connected by additional linkage.
Any ideas/ pictures appreciated.
Steve

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Rover V8
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 21:57:55 »
Not for the auto box.  The torque converter occupies the space in the bellhousing, so the size is pretty much fixed.

The selector on the ZF4 Auto is on a short cable, so positioning can be adjusted to suit.

The 4 speed manual box used in the Range Rover (LT95) was available in a shorter variant.  (As fitted to LR 101)  The bell housing on these is around 8" shorter than the RR version.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ooheck

Attack Member
Rover V8
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 19:38:52 »
Do you know where i can get some dimensions for the engine and box?

Also, i think the diff ratios are lower on series and defender models, are they all interchangable?
Thanks

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Rover V8
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 21:05:55 »
Which engine and box are you interesteed in, and which dimensions...  I have a few combinations kicking about the place, so should be able to tell you.

Series diffs were most commonly 4.71:1, whereas the Defender is normally 3.54:1.   Generally speaking they are interchangeable, as are the Range Rover diffs (also 3.54)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline ooheck

Attack Member
Rover V8
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 19:18:30 »
I'm looking for an early rangie, 3.5? non EFI don't know how many variations there are.
I need the overall dimensions for the engine and gearboxes to work out if it is possible to fit one in the Vitara.
I'm planning on changing  both axles to replace the IFS and the transfer box to compensate for the higher diff ratio, big tyres and to gain a proper low box
If all thats being changed, I might as well change the lot and fit the engine. Its cheaper to buy a complete car than bits.

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal