AuthorTopic: help expensive sounding noise  (Read 1243 times)

Offline boycarp

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
help expensive sounding noise
« on: October 10, 2006, 18:21:39 »
got a grinding noise coming from the front of the engine bay. I think it's coming from somthing on the pullys i.e the alternator. WD40 doesn't stop it but i don't want to fork out for a new alternator if thats not it, could it be the fan (altho it's not catching ) and don't think it's the water pump as it would be peeing water everywhere wouldn't it??????
Jayson

Offline TEMPL4R

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 20:58:35 »
Take the belt off, start  the engine and see if the noise has gone.

If it has, check the alternator and water pump , by hand. The pump bearings can go and not leak water. Did a Zafira on Monday with the same noise from the timing belt. Pump bearings shot.

Offline graham78

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 22:45:07 »
crazy idea, put on the aircon if it stops the air con pump needs renewing, had a corsa done this, it can be a problem especially at this time of year when people dont use aircon.... it should be switched on for at least ten minutes per month to save the system..
just an idea!!

Offline Menu

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 15:02:07 »
My centrifugal fan failed without warning and sounded like the engine was in right state.

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 17:47:02 »
Quote from: "graham78"
crazy idea, put on the aircon if it stops the air con pump needs renewing, had a corsa done this, it can be a problem especially at this time of year when people dont use aircon.... it should be switched on for at least ten minutes per month to save the system..
just an idea!!

...erm , how will changing the window winder fix it? (hilux.... air con>?!!!?) :lol:

isolating the source is the only way to find out what to change first... i would take a VERY large flat bladed screwdrive, and whilst making sure your hair/hands/genitals/facial features are clear of moving componants, use it to listen to certain areas..

press the blade hard against solid (non moving) bits, use the handle to listen to.. sound travels along the screwdriver ya see..

more than likely a bearing, mine play tunes if the weather conditions are right!  :lol:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal