AuthorTopic: The Pyrenees  (Read 8314 times)

Offline David santana

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
The Pyrenees
« on: September 30, 2006, 20:44:13 »
If you haven’t been to the Pyrenees you  shod try it the scenery is stunning the people are friendly and helpful .
The off roading is fables you  get of the tarmac and it is 8 or 9 hours before you  see tar agene. Have a look at the pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/554440103rhQEMF?start=0
We went with a commercial organisation .The trip was run very well from the ferries to the social activities, The backup was  and help was excellent.  http://www.uklandroverevents.com

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
Pyrenees
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 19:46:08 »
Hi there David,

Our group are off to France this year but we are looking to go to the Pyrenees on a future trip.

We will do our own thing, it's usaully better and cheaper that way.

I've got some maps and have looked at it for a while, I think it will be better to do the Pyrenees from West to East, then we could end up on the Med coast for a bit of R&R at the end of the Pyrenees if we get fed up of laning.
I can do bit of diving then too.

Any advice will be helpful but we're not going "tomorrow" so don't worry too much.

Cheers,

Ron. NWLRC & LLROC.
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline David santana

Attack Member
Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 20:48:23 »
Hi
I can only comment on the relatively small area we were in.
We were bastes in Andorra  1050 miles from Manchester .A comfortable two day drive.
I would consider tacking the ferry from Portsmouth to bilbow wane you compper the price of fuel, tolls, and accommodation I do not think there is much in it and you have a day and half rest.
From Andorra we drove into the mountains on 3 days and spent 8 hours a day off road in low box.
Be shour to plane your rout very carefully as wane you get on one of the roads you can not turn around  for miles and miles they are only as wide as a landrover  with very big drops 2000 ft +(scary)
In September it was 30c most day on the last day in the mountains it was fogy and we went up to the top of the ski lifts I think about 7000ft.

The highest we went was 9000ft all the motors were black smoking and the turbos were howling trying to get enough air. All the lanes were easy going all terrain tyres were good enough.

Andorra is lovely a few small towns we ware in Encamp.
One word of warning you are only aloud to take I litre of alcohol and 20 cigarettes out of Andorra,200 cigarettes are about £5.00 spirits £6.00.We were in the mountains one day and got stopped by a boarder grad at about 6000ft and he was looking for contraband
If they cache you with a lot they throw your car of the mountain.

This is a rang rover upside down in the trees you can not see from this pic but it is about 2000ft to the valley. There was a another one that was to far down to take a pic but it look lick it had bullet holes down the side.

Andorra La Villa is the mane town with plenty of shopping so you keep hold of the credit card do not let the wife have it there is a shop with 5 floors of perfume and a lot of designer shops.
We had a very good even at  http://www.caldea.com/ it is a spar with a roman baths ,stem rooms sorners a large indoor pool and a out door pool on the roof that you can swim to from the indoor pool and look out over the town. The restraints were very good French and Spanish .

All the local people were very friendly and helpful.
  You will have a excellent time. The views are berth tacking the driving is nothing like  the uk were you go for two miles and then six miles on tarmac.
I am doing the Boab Raid Asterix at Clermount Ferrand in central France in May.
I have put some moor pic on http://community.webshots.com/album/554463994koefAH

Good luck  :)
David

Offline Lugslandrovers

Attack Member
The Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 22:38:19 »
Hi folks
I know this is an old thread but i am looking at meeting up with some  fellow off roaders in the Pyrennes over the summer.
I have a Chalet in the Mountains (1400 mtrs) just about an hour from Andorra and you can get nearly every where without hitting taramac. Cut out a lot of those hairpins by taking the lanes.
If anone has maps or routes marked across the Pyrennes i would love a copy. If anyone is planning a trip down this direction , let me know and perhaps we can meet and i can provide a night or two as a base.
Heading down on the 27th Dec for 10 days , lots of snow , it's great.
Lugslandrovers
300TDI ES Auto

Offline Range Rover Ron

Attack Member
    • Bebington, Wirral.
Re: The Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 20:01:28 »
Hello Lugs,

We've put back the plans now,
We ARE doing it next year. (2009)
We will go in October.
We are planning to be based in Andorra.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ron.
Ronnie Wood, LLROC

Suicide:- a permanent sollution to a temporary problem!

ONE LIFE. LIVE IT.

Offline Lugslandrovers

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 23:24:20 »
 :lol:
Hi Looks a good trip.
I will be in Andora in the next few weeks and probably 2 or 3 times before 2009. Certainly back at xmas 2008 . If you want some accommodation let me kow and  i will looks some up. Gites are cheaper and a little off the beaten track. If you are planning camping there are lots of sites and a great one near my place.
When you have finalised the details let me know and i may be able to meet up with you in Andorra.
I have a place about 45 mns from Andora and whilst i don't know the off roading in Andora there are loads in the Pyrennes near my place.
Nearer the time look me up maybe we can meet and i can show you some routes on maps etc.
Cheers
Lugslandrovers
300TDI ES Auto

Offline kizz81

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 07:52:22 »
i don't know the off roading in Andora there are loads in the Pyrennes near my place.
Nearer the time look me up maybe we can meet and i can show you some routes on maps etc.

there was some fantastic forest track in the pyrenees thatwe did on the landy rally not to mention the "dust bowl" i could find the location if you were interested? send me a pm and ill see what i can do

cheers kieran
Ever dreamed about travelling to the land of the midnight sun? visit our website for more info!
www.freespirit4x4.co.uk

Offline africanpete

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 22:04:03 »
i don't know the off roading in Andora there are loads in the Pyrennes near my place.

there was some fantastic forest track in the pyrenees thatwe did on the landy rally not to mention the "dust bowl" i could find the location if you were interested? send me a pm and ill see what i can do

cheers kieran

Hi Kieran

I am leaving on the 16th of July and any info or advice you have will be very usefull

Thanks
Pete

Offline Lugslandrovers

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 17:57:48 »
Hi,David
Totally agree this area is fantastic for trips
I have a chalet about 1 hr from Andora , in France and am down there a lot. You should see the off roading in the winter snow. Great.
Have you any maps or route plans which you could share.
Len
Lugslandrovers
300TDI ES Auto

Offline sMUDge

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 16:31:58 »
I was in the Pyrenese this year, fantastic place, but only for a couple of days, en route to Spain. 

Next year (09) I'll  be spending more time there to explore, I cant wait  :D 
Disco Ser 2 V8

Handle every situation like my dog does, if you can't eat it or hump it, wee on it and walk away......

Offline bigwood

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 13:13:38 »
I have been out with the guys from UK Landrover Events this year in the UK and was imppresed with there days out. I would love to go to the Pyrenees with them. Maybe one year we will make it. :)
Old Landrovers dont die they just fade to a red oxide colour.

Offline redhand

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 14:16:42 »
I have been out with the guys from UK Landrover Events this year in the UK and was imppresed with there days out. I would love to go to the Pyrenees with them. Maybe one year we will make it. :)

Hi Bigwood put your name down on the HY4x4Response Pyrenees trip. due to take place towards the end of next year.

Cheers Joe.
http://www.humber-yorks4x4response.org.uk/
www.landyzone.co.uk
www.landrovernet.com
www.mig-welding.co.uk

1987 TD90 Hard Top

I haven't got a clue where I'm going. But God Help Them when I get there..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal