AuthorTopic: 200tdi into series 2a  (Read 2858 times)

Offline benspray

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi into series 2a
« on: September 05, 2006, 15:57:12 »
Hi All

Im thinking of fitting a 200tdi (I have a good enough engine ready for it) into my 2a (1962 88") now Ive read a lot of posts on other sites some say its ok and others say the gearbox will die very quickly...
What I dont want to do is do all the work (Im doing a chassis swap at the same time) and then find after a couple of months the gearbox breaks, so what options do I have?

What about axle strength etc as well? from looking at the DVLA site I really need to keep things like axles and gearbox if poss so I dont lose the identity or are there anyways around this (bigger / stronger internals in original casings or anything?) Id like disc brakes at some stage but again thats a huge can of worms from what I can see... :-(

What I intend / want to do during the rebuild is keep everything looking and feeling as original as possible in order to retain the character of the vehicle more than anything (in fact Im not sure rebuild is the right term as I will be leaving character dents etc in the bodywork - more of a mechanical refresh and rot removal than anything :-) so that inside or out it looks and feels as near to original as possible, only when the bonnet is opened will it look anything other than original) and as mentioned I want to stay legal with the DVLA in order to keep the proper identiy etc... oh looking at the DVLA site it states "original unmodified chassis" does cutting the battery tray off to fit the engine constitute a modification?? and possible gearbox mount changes if I was to replace the gearbox?

All suggestions welcome as I seem to be going round in circles at the moment   !!!
can of worms opened and thrown to the crowd!

Cheers

Ben

Offline Ser3 J

Attack Member
  • Series 3 Evolution
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 19:59:00 »
Ben,

I can't offer any help but I am very interested in doing the same for my Series 3 CSW...

I shall watch with interest  :wink:

John

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 20:52:33 »
IMHO, dont worry about your axles or gearbox, just be prepared to change it if you get carried and brake something, maybe pick up a spare box if you come across one.
i dont think getting rid of the battery tray counts as modifing.

Offline benspray

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 00:40:11 »
Ok cool thanks...
I guess worse case I have a spare gearbox and a set of spare axles off another 2a and I may have some series 3 bits coming at some stage  believe the gearbox on a series 3 will drop the synchros before breaking with the 200tdi rather than the mainshaft just giving up on the 2a box - thats what Ive read anyway..

Good about the chassis anyway as being tax exempt Im sure dvla etc would be pretty hot on these things sometimes!

Cheers

Ben

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 00:49:13 »
I've had lots of landrovers over the years and always tried to improve the bits that are crap and /or keep breaking . Axles , gearboxes , suspension , engine and breakes are all bits that can be modified . But you hit the DVLA wall when you do these things  . The answer I am afraid is as landrover themselves found to upgrade to a new model . You can only improve so far and then you have to start again . There is loads you can do to improve your landrover , if you do it right it will look just like a range rover underneath . Just some thoughts ...... :?

Offline benspray

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 01:00:04 »
hi
yeah good point, there have been times over the past couple of weeks where I have thought sod this, all this money and time when I could just buy a tdi 90!!
but I really like the look of the old lights in the grill series 2a:-) which is the only thing really keeping me going in this direction..... oh and the tax exempt part of course which then comes back to the DVLA point..! :-)

when yuo say look like a range rover underneath? what can I do with dvla etc etc with that level of mods??

Cheers

Ben

Offline Canada Al

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 01:09:17 »
If you really like the look of the old 2a ( I have a 2a wire grill and badge on my 3 ) you can drop the 2a body onto  a RR or 90 chassis . this involves lots of fitting but can be done . Legally you have to tell the DVLA and it is classed as the donor vehicle . If you want the Tax break then you have to put up with old technology . I have been where you are and have stuck with the SWB SIII and the S2a FC , but I am looking at a new jeep Rubicon ( six speed , difflocks all round , 4 litre engine ) Dream on ........

Offline benspray

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 01:21:06 »
fair point :-)

Cheers

Ben

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 09:25:16 »
from the dvla website

Code: [Select]
Allocating a vehicle registration mark

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used, an enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.
Scoring components

The following values will be allocated to the major components used:

* chassis or body shell (body and chassis as one unit – monocoque ie direct replacement from the manufacturer) (original or new) = 5 points
    * suspension = 2 points
    * axles = 2 points
    * transmission = 2 points
    * steering assembly = 2 points
    * engine = 1 point

you need 8 points to retain the original reg,
chassis is 5
steering is 2
suspension is 2

thats 9 points, so you can change the engine, gearbox and axles and keep the same registration

Ian
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline benspray

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 10:09:38 »
ok cool thanks

but do parabolics count towards the suspension points as they are not to original spec??

Cheers

Ben

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 20:42:13 »
parabolics do not count as a modification, there just a imporved version of the original system.

Offline benspray

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 10:06:54 »
cool thats good :-)
With that in mind I bought a set of Rocky Mountain paras this weekend, be a while before I fit them mind you...!

Cheers

Ben

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 23:47:12 »
they are nice are the rocky mountain paras. much better at load bearing than the cheaper ones. They take a few good heavy loads before they break in and soften up nicely though!

Offline benspray

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 00:32:23 »
cool, Im glad, I got them for a bit of a bargain as well :-) brand new 2 leaf fronts and 2 leaf rears with U bolts and bushes etc for less than the Paddocks ones.. :-)

Anyone tell me how they compare to something like Chris Perfects?

Cheers

Ben

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006, 08:23:57 »
when i bought mine, one other mate bought some from chris perfect/TIC, and then another the cheapies from paddocks.
The chris perfect ones and paddocks had a better ride straight away - for the first couple of months my rocky mountain ones were really hard. But then i moved a couple of really heavy loads in mine (some big tree trunks and a lot of hardcore), and after then mine were much softer and felt as nice as the other ones.
However - mine are still much better under load. I have filled the back of my SWB floor to roof with rubble so that it will only just drive and i still havent got anywhere near the bump stops!. With the paddocks ones it only took my mates toolbox in the back of his landy and he was hitting the bump stops! (its not a huge toolbox either)

Offline benspray

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 09:40:21 »
Thats cool thanks

How do they compare for articulation unloaded (once softened up :-)
its good to know I can put a bit of weight in the back if I need to :-)

Cheers

Ben

Offline benspray

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 09:41:39 »
oh and what shocks are you running...?
Rocky Mountain seem to recommend something along the lines of the Pro-comp es9000 (rather than the es3000 that most places use)

Cheers

Ben

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 10:25:24 »
For normal unloaded road driving, i really dont think that there is much difference between the springs. They are all much nicer than new standard springs!
The rocky mountain ones are slightly higher than the others.

Most of my driving in the landy is on road/gravel with the odd bit off grass, and the occasional lane. Usually carrying lots of weight or loads of stuff. I dont do any proper offroad stuff so cant really compare them like that.

I bought procomp es3000's for mine, but if i did it again i would just buy the cheaper paddocks gas shocks like my mate did since they seem to work just as well. I dont like the way that the pro comp shocks are unprotected and the shafts started to rust pretty quickly (the rubber boots just trapped mud so i took them off)

Offline benspray

Attack Member
200tdi into series 2a
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 10:30:10 »
Cool thanks

Looking forward to getting htis going now :-)

Cheers

Ben

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal