AuthorTopic: Engine pre-heaters & LPG (gulp)  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
  • Referrals: 0
Engine pre-heaters & LPG (gulp)
« on: September 09, 2003, 21:52:12 »
Ok,

1. I've decided that I must have one (a pre-heater) <grin> Can anyone list the virtues/problems with having one?

2. Due to Her Majestys money grabbers I think I need to go LPG (I know - SHUT UP!). Any major problems that I should be aware of now?
--
Neil

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Re: Engine pre-heaters & LPG (gulp)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 23:21:30 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
2. Due to Her Majestys money grabbers I think I need to go LPG (I know - SHUT UP!). Any major problems that I should be aware of now?

Yes, go to someone who understands the engine, not just the conversion.  You'll need a decent system that can work with the ECU and give it the signals it's expecting to see from things like your Lambda sensors.   If it costs you much less that 1500 quid, then I'd be surprised but you should get a good system that won't compromise your engine.   (yes, yes, there are cheaper systems around.....I'm just not convinced that they work especially well with fuel injected engines)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 00:44:49 »
Considering how much you just spent on the engine I would follow Tim's advice and take it to somewhere that *really* know what they're talking about.

Have you considered asking RPI who they'd recommend?
--

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 00:46:24 »
And for the love of god (not to mention your own body) don't take it to H*rtw*lls
--

Offline 300+

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 13:44:11 »
There are horror stories here in Oz about LPG systems back firing and taking out the air box, and more expensively the air flow meter.

Kinda makes a dent in the fuel savings!

Steve

gordonkerr

Re: Engine pre-heaters & LPG (gulp)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 18:17:08 »
Quote from: "Thrasher"
Any major problems that I should be aware of now?

How about the fact that given a year or two (my prediction being the former) LPG will be just as expensive as unleaded. The government simply cannot stomach the tax they are "losing" and will remove the preferential tax rates.

They did it with deisel, they'll do it with LPG.

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 19:38:11 »
Neil,

I too have heard that LPG duty levels are very likely to rise, but this in itself should not have to stop you from converting as unleaded duty will  be equally likely to rise (but maybe not at the same rate).  What you do have to consider is the difference in duty levels between unleaded and LPG as this is were your saving is.  

And this is likely to be a large gap for quite a time

As for the preheater, Why m8?   we are not in the artic , and have you not heard of global warming!!!!    better off putting the monies toward your LPG conversion or buying us some beer sometime!!!

Hope this helps

Cheers
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal