AuthorTopic: Home made snorkels  (Read 1380 times)

Offline 4x4nick

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Home made snorkels
« on: August 11, 2006, 10:57:33 »
Just been looking into snorkels for my series 3 land rover. Didnt realise quite how expensive they were! I hear you can make them. Has anyone done this or can point me in the direction of some instructions?

You can go fast but I can go anywhere!

Mitsi Shogun 2.5 TD - Bonnet Mounted Hi-Lift Jack, Safari Snorkel, Kumho MT's, CB, Roof Crate and a crazy driver!

To come - Body lift, suspension lift, spotlights.

Offline rustprooflandyracer

Attack Member
Home made snorkels
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 20:17:41 »
B+Q drainpipe and plenty of flexible hosing. I found when making mine he biggest concern is getting the right filter, as the standard is an oil bath air filter with only one exit, so you really need and inlet and outlet for a snorkel. You can easily pick up a paper element filter off a 2.5 n/a diesel, but then you have to go about modifying this so it fits etc. Really a pain in the a**!

When I fitted mine, it sounds stupid but I bought a genuine air filter from the optional extra parts catalog, which luckly they had one at the factory and this mean it fits perfectly and is still the oil bath air type with and inlet and outlet, then  a case of just routing the pipe around the engine bay and under the wing to the window frame, where it runs straight up.

This is mine, which I finished a few days ago, i mentioned it on a previous thread.

http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=27232

Cheers
Matt

Land Rover 1983 88'' CSW, CP Parabolics (3 leaf rears), Recon Turner 2 1/4 diesel, BFG Mud terrains on silver mods (235/85/r16), Galvanised chassis, Midland CB fitted, Rock Sliders, Snorkel, Light Bar. Full NAS Lights, Powerflow Exhaust, Twin Hiclones... and some!

Disco 300TDI - BFG AT's, Light Bar... Work in progress!

Offline Dr Neil

Attack Member
Home made snorkels
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 21:07:55 »
when i made mine for my series 3 petrol i used an airfilter/ casing from a peugeot 306. they are made out of plastic and easy to mount(fitted mine in the origional place and just modified the bracket) They are also reasonably cheap (about £30) or you could get one from a breakers yard.

hope this helps

Neil.....
200tdi over 200kmiles
+2"lift.
Procomp Es9000 shocks
235 MT's on silver modulars
diff guards
tank guard
Paidia4x4 winch bumper.
Discoparts HD rear bumper.
Champion 10000N winch
CB and CDplayer
Safari snorkel
modified turbo actuator vac pipe pick up.
twin batteries with Paidia4x4 split charge system
roof lightbar

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Home made snorkels
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 22:13:19 »
Try an airbox from a 90 :wink: then just plug the B&Q drainpipe in 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal