AuthorTopic: which suspension lift ?  (Read 2403 times)

chrisjp

which suspension lift ?
« on: August 23, 2004, 19:19:37 »
I'm trying to decide which lift to go for on my 2.5 wrangler... I'm running BFG/AT 30's and a small winch if that makes any difference

basicaly I want to keep the road manners and only need a little lift to keep the jeep from "high-centereing" in deep rutts... 2" should do it...

I have a workshow, milling equipment and can weld a bit if there is a home made solution... eg new shocks and spacers...

Any suggestions or ones to avoid ?

chrisjp

which suspension lift ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 19:20:38 »
I supose I should have told you it's a 2000 TJ... :-)

13th Duke Of Wybourne

which suspension lift ?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 12:23:04 »
Hi Chris, if your suspension is in good nick and has not sagged (like my rear leaf springs have) then you can probably do it quite cheaply with 2 inch 'pucks' for front springs and extension shackles for rear leaf springs.

Have a look/search in the jeepclub.co.uk technical forum also.

Rusties products are quite cheap and Mudisland.co.uk can supply - tell jason i put you his way :)

Cheers
Nick.

Quatermaine

which suspension lift ?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 19:54:47 »
Hi
To help you out with ground clearance for travelling in ruts you need to have taller tyres as you need to lift the axle, as this is the lowest point of the car, and what gets stuck. The suspension lift gives you the clearance to allow you to have taller tyres.
As for a lift kit, your TJ is coils all round so you won't be able to use the add a leaf kits. It will be new coils and shocks all round.
Another point to think about is new brake hose as you are adding lift, moving the axle away from the car; the STD hoses might not be long enough.
If you are going for some big lift you may have to consider the propshaft's. As you add lift you are increasing the angle of the prop shaft and this might cause vibration, if this happens you will either have to lower the transmission or shim the axles or fit a CV type UJ to correct this.
I use a explorer pro comp suspension system and daystar transmission system am very happy with them.

Chris

(0||||0)

Only in a JEEP

chrisjp

Suspension lift
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 18:26:46 »
I have been thinking about this and looking at some of the kits on the market. I would seem that once you go over 2" of lift, you need to make changes to the drive line and track bars to prevent vibration and bad road behaviour.  Also quite a few lifts have T-case lowering components.... and I cant see the point in raising the suspension and than lowering the t-case ??? There is also the question of insurance too... can't see my insurance comapany being extatic with an 8" lift :-)

As far as tires... I would love to go biggger than 30's but as I have just recently baught 5 I can see my wife agreeing to changing the whells and tires all in one go... you realy notice the difference in gearing on a 2.5 and I don't thing any bigger would work with the standard diff's.

One of the solutions I have been considering is looking for TJ Rubicon componenets on ebay in the US... it seems quite a few owners change the standard Rubicon suspension as soon as they get the jeep. My understanding is that the Rubicon has a 2" lift from the factory... can any of you confirm this.

chrisjp

Jeep Lift
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 23:30:22 »
Hi all

Just incase you are interested, I have an update. I have made some 1" Nylon 66 spacers that have done the trick...

CJP

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
which suspension lift ?
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 02:16:25 »
Any pictures ?  Might be useful to see how they fit in
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal