AuthorTopic: Auto cutting out  (Read 4039 times)

Offline SteveH

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Auto cutting out
« on: August 19, 2004, 20:03:13 »
Having a bit of a problem, when ever the better half takes the Rangie out she complains about it cutting out when sat in traffic/at lights or wherever, I dont notice the prob so much, but then I left foot brake and am a tad more aggresive a driver. I'm pretty sure that it is going to be fixable by raising the tickover (currently at about 500rpm on tickover after service by local landy bloke) but was wondering if this suggested anything more serious to anyone.. Gearbox is ok barring dodgy selection links. Oh, and somewhat embarrasingly I have never had to adjust the tickover on an efi before, assume it is same process as on carb models but if not then any info appreciated  :)

Stoopid questions perhaps, but all this is a world away from company car ownership  :)

Steve
Steve

Back with net access again :)

Used to own:
85' RRC 3.5 V8 D968 DFP

My Gallery www.4x4prejudice.org

This isn't an office, it's hell with fluorescent lighting.

Offline LOFTY

Attack Member
EFI
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 21:14:12 »
Hello,
Is your system a flapper, or hot wire system, will be the first question,
with the flapper, theres a micro switch in it which turns the fuel pump on upon cranking the engine i believe, this on a low tick over if incorrectly adjusted can cause pumps to stop, hench engine stop. :?
85% OF ALL LAND ROVERS BUILT, ARE STILL ON THE ROAD,
THE OTHER 15% MADE IT HOME ;)

Offline SteveH

Attack Member
Auto cutting out
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 21:23:30 »
Hmm, well, original engine... how do I tell the difference?  :?
Steve

Used to own:
85' RRC 3.5 V8 D968 DFP

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Auto cutting out
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 21:18:18 »
If it's just had a service, and the problem has only just started it might be something as daft as the throttle linkage.

Shortening the length of the throttle cable very slightly with the adjuster will lift the revs without having to play with any of the EFi adjustments.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline nzrover

Attack Member
Auto cutting out
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 06:35:15 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"
Shortening the length of the throttle cable very slightly with the adjuster will lift the revs without having to play with any of the EFi adjustments.

Not a very good idea - it can easily stop the throttle from giving a "closed" signal if you do this and then they run really badly.  Adjust it properly - RRC EFI needs all the help it can get to work properly.   :)

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Auto cutting out
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 17:44:58 »
The point I was trying to make (not clearly enough :-) ) was that before you go fiddling around with the EFi settings, it's worth checking the simplest  things first.

If the throttle position is wrong, then the throttle pot position (which will almost certainly be worn and have a dead-band) may also be wrong.

Get a RR service manual, it has a standard set of test procedures for the EFi, many of which can be carried out with a multimeter.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline SteveH

Attack Member
Auto cutting out
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 21:19:47 »
Cheers for the responses, had a proper nose around and looks like the linkage stop mount on the engine block is knackered, played with it a bit (well, bent it a bit with a bar) and all seems to be well, did a few hundred miles today with no related problems, couple of new ones of course  :)

Steve
Steve

Used to own:
85' RRC 3.5 V8 D968 DFP

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal