AuthorTopic: Oops, Fan belts  (Read 2718 times)

Offline dawdler

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Oops, Fan belts
« on: August 14, 2004, 16:56:53 »
Just had a very interesting experience with fan belts today :shock:

the main belt snapped on my 200TDi (the belt that goes to the fan and power steering box)

So a quick jog over to Halfords (local independant dealer did not have one in stock) and got a new belt

Fitted it and then saw that the belt was narrower than the groves on the pullys  :o

EH?

WOT?

So, after checking part numbers I tried again, same result, very loose, noisy belt

Right O, time for a quick 20 mile trip to the local MAIN (GULP AT PRICES) dealer

I squealed into their forecourt getting various dirty looks from the sales staff, upto the parts counter and asked for a fan belt,
got one,
looked at it,
EH?

it is the same size as the Halfords one, so I draged the Parts Bloke out to look at it and he said, "mmmmm, strange" and walked off to get advise from a mechanic (I could now see pound signs BIG in the air to sort this little problem out)

Mechanic arrived and said, "mmmm, strange", went off and found a fan belt that was the right size, a non standard belt, and he then fitted it for me free of charge (WEYHEY)

no more squealing, when I asked what the belt was from or part number, he said, "dunno, its been knocking around the place for a while and was wondering what vehicle it was for"

There is no part number on the belt so cannot even check on that

Moral of the story

there aint one, just a typical day of Landrover owner  :P
200Tdi Disco 93'
Bearmach Rocksliders
Winch Bumper
T-Max 9000lb Winch
Rebel Diff Guards
Steering Guard
Marshland Rear Recovery Unit
Midland 98 CB
1.5/8" lift