AuthorTopic: FREELANDER BUYING ADVISE NEEDED  (Read 1949 times)

Offline BIG-VIT

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
FREELANDER BUYING ADVISE NEEDED
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:01:33 »
Hiya all.

We have looked at part ex'ing our road car (golf tdi) for a freelander.
The free lander is a 02 plated 2.0 td4 es hardback 3 door with 59,214 miles on the clock.It has leather interior/heated seats/air con and the usual dobbins.

As i own a modded suzi vitara i aint got a clue bout the landrovers fors or againsts so have any of you guys got any sugestions i should look for before i commit to buy this car and could you give me the fors and againsts.
This car is really for the missis as an every day motor , (NOT TO BE TOUCHED BY ME...LOL) and modded.shame !!!!!

Any info would be great guys

Jay

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 22:05:51 »
Hi Jay

Only going of what I have read, and spoken to others I would stay clear of the 1.8 petrol Freelander due to large head gasket failures, the TD4 from my own experience is an excellent engine and would be my choice everytime if purchasing another Freelander.

Cheers Mate   :D

Schuee

Offline pondy653

Attack Member
    • Norwich
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 22:29:19 »
I've owned several Land Rovers over the years and have had for the past 5 years my faithful 93 110 csw 200TDi. The thing to understand is, it's a Land Rover, it will let you down, and seem to do it at the most inopertune moments (my last minor fault was a no notice split developing in an oil cooler pipe at 3am emptying the sump in about 30 seconds).

Thats why I'm picking up a little brother for it on Sat, a 51 plate TD4 3 Door. I even asked the advice of a mate  who works for a well known independant LR repairers in Norwich about them prior to buying it, he said 'buy a Rav4' but I just couldn't do that to my driveway.

Apparently there is no known cure for the condition called Land Rover Ownership. once you've got it thats the end of motoring and the begining of a way of life!!
Road use only I'm told by 'her in doors' (well for the rest of 2006 maybe).
Go on, just do it, you know you want to.
Good luck
Tony
98 Defender 110 CSW Tdi
Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Sport DSG
Yamaha WR450F (for treading really lightly)
4x4 Response (Norfolk&Suffolk) Member since 1999

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 22:38:36 »
Quote from: "pondy653"

Apparently there is no known cure for the condition called Land Rover Ownership. once you've got it thats the end of motoring and the begining of a way of life!!

Go on, just do it, you know you want to.
Good luck
Tony

Could'nt agree more, the stick I received for choosing a Freelander at work was unbelievable, however it's a brilliant motor, don't listen to the others and what they say,I would'nt be seen dead in a Rav4, Landrover will certainly be a way of life hopefully for all my life  :)  :)  :)

Schuee

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 22:23:08 »
We've had a 52 plate ES Td4 5-door from new - great motor. The ES is nicely trimmed too.  Mostly used by Mrs R. Get 30-31mpg on short runs, high 30's on a longer run.

One minor niggle - fixed under warranty.

Great motor. Not too bad off road either, you just have to watch out for deep ruts and 'make do' with first gear. Give me a Td4 over a RAV4 anyday.

But I would say that, I also own an old 90 (up for Sale) and a 300Tdi Disco!!
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 22:28:54 »
I had an 06 manual TD4 today - and it was dire - but I was comparing it to something it cannot be - an RR SC Auto. Good old Land Rover eh....;-)

However - wait until the end of this month - the current model Freelander is about to get *very* cheap. This will impact the second hand market.
--
Neil

Offline BIG-VIT

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 22:18:39 »
Worth thinking about eh...the new freelander is out or cuming so if i wait a few weeks i might get a bigger bargain than i been offered....

I think its a deffo though for her in doors....she likes the grand vitara but wont have 1 cuz i got a modded vit...lol....cant see the problem there ???

I took her to see 1 and she said it was tinny and too basic so looked at the freelander and loved the look/drive and style.

Im not 1 of them suzuki owners that will (or ever have) knocked land rover owners.

Cheers for the tips guys , well appreciated and i hope there are a few more to come

Jay

Offline Terminus

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 12:13:38 »
A Range Rover it's not but hey it was never meant to be  :lol:

I have a 04 TD4 in that oh so gorgeous deep green and it's a lovely motor!

Ok it doesn't have a huge amount of ground clearance but I'm looking at lifting it 50mm putting smaller steels and AT's for offroad (has 17" alloys and road tyres for the daily plodding).  Going to chip it too because one issue it does have is that with the standard chip setting you get a slight response delay on the TD4 when you press the throttle - accelerates fine at speed but has a delay when you pull off which can get tiresome.
Way back then - life crawled out of the mud, then it decided life was better and crawled back in!

*If you only knew the power of the dark side*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal