AuthorTopic: Screw kits  (Read 4672 times)

Offline xmob

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Screw kits
« on: July 30, 2004, 10:29:31 »
I've resigned myself to the fact that Thora (Series III 88") isn't going to be on the road this summer, so I'm in the middle of a "down to chassis" strip.  Hell, if I'm gonna do it, I might as well do it properly.

When it comes to putting her back together, I want to replace all the nuts/bolts/screws with new ones.  I've just had a quick look at the Screwfix website, and was surprised to see that they don't do "kits" of various nuts/bolts/screws (not that I could find anyway).

Does anybody have any idea what I need to be buying?  Sizes, quantity etc.  And what type, stainless or zinc plated?

TIA
Clyde 2.0 - Disco 200tdi
Bonnie - Freelander TD4 ES Premium

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Screw kits
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 13:48:22 »
MC member 'Mace' may be able to help you on some  - best u contact him from the forum.
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Sennadog

Attack Member
Screw kits
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 10:58:50 »
There's a bloke up North somewhere that does this.  I can't remember his name but if you ring DLR they will have his number.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Screw kits
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 13:05:48 »
I've not used them, but this guy advertises in the comics :

---------------------------------------------------------------
L R FASTENERS
32, Laburnum Park, Bradshaw, Bolton, BL2 3BU.
01204 302589       Fax 417219
All nuts, bolts, seals, rivets, brake and steering parts, etc.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Sennadog

Attack Member
Screw kits
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 17:23:22 »
As I said earlier, ring DLR on 01483 200567.

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Screw kits
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 10:03:53 »
Quote from: "davidlandy"
MC member 'Mace' may be able to help you on some  - best u contact him from the forum.

I've got a kit that I've put together that contains all the necessary bolts/washers/nuts to do bonnet, front doors, rear door & crossmember, in A2 stainless steel. The kit was developed around my 1985 90 but most of the parts in question are exactly the same as a Series III so they will fit your rebuild.

If you are thinking of Stainless Steel then be careful where you use it. Although the name implies it's rust free you can still get a small amount of corrosion between stainless, itself and other metals. If you ever get a stainless nut or bolt that has seized you'll find you cannot drill it out with a normal drill bit, it's just too hard by comparison to normal steel. Do not use Stainless on any mechanical serviceable part as the tensile strength is also different.

http://www.gtc-direct.com/index.asp  do a full range of components in all metals

LR Fasteners in Bolton sell a full kit for a few hundred quid  :shock:
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline nzrover

Attack Member
Screw kits
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 11:00:04 »
And never, ever, ever use stainless steel fasteners of ony type in contact with aluminium - instant electrolysis - disappearing aluminium and siezed stainless fasteners.

Offline xmob

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
Screw kits
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 11:30:08 »
Thanks for all the replies.  I'll make some enquiries later this week.

Quote from: "nzrover"
And never, ever, ever use stainless steel fasteners of ony type in contact with aluminium - instant electrolysis - disappearing aluminium and siezed stainless fasteners.

This was why I was asking, I thought I'd read somewhere about stainless being worse than mild for electrolysis.  The last thing I want is my newly built toy falling apart because I chose the wrong bolts.  :cry:

Quote from: "Mace"
The kit was developed around my 1985 90 but most of the parts in question are exactly the same as a Series III so they will fit your rebuild.

Does that include seat boxes?  I think the one I recently took out is beyond help.  It looks great, it's only around the bottom edges (where it bolts down) that's rotten.
Clyde 2.0 - Disco 200tdi
Bonnie - Freelander TD4 ES Premium

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Screw kits
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 10:36:34 »
Quote from: "xmob"
Does that include seat boxes?

No, I was referring to the hinges and screws, the seat box was modified for the transition from s3 to 90
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal