AuthorTopic: Snorkel  (Read 5033 times)

Offline mikesrangie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Snorkel
« on: July 14, 2004, 23:52:51 »
Wanting to put a snorkel on an 89 3.9 RR County.  Would like to ask for advice from the experts on what to do (other than not go in the water).  
Thanks
Mike
89 Range Rover County, 2" Scorpion lift, extreme steering gaurd, front diff gaurd, extreme rear radius arms, and track rod gaurd.  QT Services rear diff guard.

www.bhclrc.co.uk

Offline fesuvious

Attack Member
  • water water everywhere, oh sh*t, Iv stalled it
your 2 inch lift
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 13:18:42 »
I know its not an answer to the question, in fact I was thinking about posting the same question abour snorkel's myself. But. Is a 2 inch lift easy to do? Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?
cheers
Recommended wading depth 500 inches, no wait, im sure that was milimetres. And let me get this right. The breakover angle is 80 degrees....??

Ahh, f**k it, Il give it a go anyway

Offline Landieman

Attack Member
Snorkel
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 13:39:39 »
fesuvious - in my limited experience the 2 inch lift is really only required when the tyres have been upgraded aswell. Ok it lifts the body but the diffs aren't any higher off the ground. Also there might be added strain on the UJ's.

I might be completely wrong but i will quite happily be corrected, que correction.......
Ben, #1 Mud-Club T.A.R.T. (Token Angst Riden Teenager)

A DEMON WITH A BREAKER BAR!

Land Rovers don't leak, they mark their territory!

Offline mikesrangie

Attack Member
Snorkel
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 16:53:34 »
fesuvious,
     The lift was not hard to do at all.  The only problem was compressing the springs enough to get them in.  Landieman is correct in that the UJ,s are put under a bit more strain, that is why I replaced the shafts with the extreme shafts from Scorpion when the lift went on.  I have also replaced the tires with a much larger Grizzly Claw and still had to modify the wheel arches a bit, now with the tires I have between 1.5" and 2" of extra clearnce.
     Hopefully this will help you.
89 Range Rover County, 2" Scorpion lift, extreme steering gaurd, front diff gaurd, extreme rear radius arms, and track rod gaurd.  QT Services rear diff guard.

www.bhclrc.co.uk

Offline mikesrangie

Attack Member
Snorkel
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 16:54:25 »
Forgot to mention that you would really need to extend the brake lines.  

Mike

www.bhclrc.co.uk

Offline Axle

Attack Member
Snorkel
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 13:25:48 »
cool rangie.. :D  :D

the only thing i could see happening is knuckle sandwiches  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

cheers

Rob

Offline mikesrangie

Attack Member
Snorkel
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 18:25:10 »
Thanks I think so.  :wink:

www.bhclrc.co.uk

Offline Axle

Attack Member
Snorkel
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 00:11:11 »
any news on the snorkal so ?

Cheers

Rob

Offline mikesrangie

Attack Member
Snorkel
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 11:57:01 »
I think that I have found the design that I want to use.  It will be similar to what this gentleman did to his EFI.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/thebecketts/rover/rover.htm

However it does not look like I will be able to have it done for a bit so will let you know when I do get it done.

www.bhclrc.co.uk

Offline Axle

Attack Member
Snorkel
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 12:01:44 »
neat :D  :D

good info on the site to :)  :)

cheers

Rob

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Snorkel/2" lift
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 21:23:11 »
We have both these on our Rangie, the snorkel looks quite cool and helps quiet the air intake from the engine as the LPG evaporater howls.

The 2" lift is something of an aquired taste.  Because the self leveler is redundant the springs are very heavy, plus 25% front 35% rear.  It handles damn well for a 2 tonner.
You can move the shocks or fit longer ones but a 2" lift should give you 4" extra travel, not possible with standard shocks, also be careful with longer brakelines, ours are plus 3".  Goodrige hoses don't cost any more for the extra length!

UJ, yes I agree that they do have to work harder, keep them greased! biggest problem is that the front prop goes out of whack, the rear UJ ends up at a greater angle than the front, if you fit castor correction arms this only gets worse!  Also the prop is very close to the front anti roll bar.
Unless someone makes a front prop with a CV joint at the gearbox end I would recomend fitting Castor correcting swivels from Tomcat Motorsport to get the correct castor, otherwise your front tyres will wear on the outer edges and the steering might not self-centre.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal