AuthorTopic: K series head gasket... yes that one!  (Read 2647 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
K series head gasket... yes that one!
« on: July 07, 2004, 18:05:20 »
Hi all

My wife has taken a fancy to a 2000 'W' 1.8 Freelander. She has finally come to her senses and is considering a Land Rover.

Question is, does the head gasket issue only apply to earlier cars, or all of the 1.8's? If only the earlier ones, when was if fixed?
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline karloss

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 19:06:46 »
I'm sure this has been covered on here before. Have a dig round, failing that, it was talked about in a fairly recent issue of lro. Not sure which one but Richard(BTM) will most likely know.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 22:11:42 »
Been back through my LRO's but can't find anything specific. So we've been scouring the world with Google and I think we have put ourselves off buying this car! I would estimate we have now read in excess of 50 damning reports from disgruntled owners. Shame really. We liked the car, but we would be forever waiting for the plume of steam.

We will talk to the dealer again, but I doubt he can persuade us.

Maybe we will look at the TD4 in a few years when the prices are lower.
 :(
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 08:48:17 »
A couple of things to point out...

They've sold thousands of freelanders, litterally in the tens of thousands, 50 disgruntled customers is fairly insubstantial

Secondly both the Freelander and the MG have the same K series engine, from what I recall land rover acknowledged it was a problem and had the vehicles sorted (using an alternative gasket) and that has thus far eliminated the problem.  MG on the other hand denied it existed and I don't think this helped.

Thirdly,  if you want a *good* review of a car, google isn't the best place to start.  It's the one to ten thing.  If a car has a good review you're lucky if the person who likes it tells one person.  If they dislike it (for whatever reason) you're lucky if they only tell ten.  

Another point to consider is if you want to be assured of the safety and quality of a vehicle never ever buy a new one.   Most "new" cars will go through 20 - 30 product recalls or repairs during their first years.  *if* you are lucky you'll find out about them, but most of the time they're mearly done at the next service...

Anyhow, for a better review talk to maddy or nelly (thrasher) since AFAIK they have had more experience with these things than I.

But let's put it this way, I don't let the average computer user put me off buying a packet of biscuits or a bit of kit, let alone a car..
--

Offline turtle

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 09:11:55 »

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 09:23:54 »
Thanks guys. I did see the previous thread and tried to find the LRO article (without success).

I agree about the 1 to 10 concept and I try to remain objective about the descision, but there are so many reports/rumours that it can't fail to affect our choice of car. I can't help feeling like it would be a lottery buying a K series Freelander! And I have not yet concluded which way the odds are stacked!

I guess it will come down to the second test drive and talk to the dealer.

We will let you know what we do on the 19th!
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 17:23:16 »
Well, after all the deliberation, we have bought the Freelander. It would be joining my 110 in the driveway...... but the 110 is currently broken down outside my work! Clutch cylider going in tonight. Then we will have a full drive again. And this time with 2 green oval vehicles  :)
Rgds
Steve

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal