AuthorTopic: URGENT info needed about tdi's and v8's  (Read 2246 times)

Offline strapping young lad

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
URGENT info needed about tdi's and v8's
« on: August 28, 2003, 13:16:22 »
a friend of mine is considering buying a defender, in fact definitely buying one but unsure whether to get v8 or tdi

can you lot advise me on the pros and cons as she needs to convince her husband.

i dont want a fuel war just facts.

Offline George the Disco

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 13:29:54 »
Dyf, Eithers good. Don't go for the n/a diesel - too slow. Don't go for a td5 - too many storys doing the rounds about plastic dowel rods that hold the head on and melt under the head and cause the head to warp.

Sorry, but I don't know all that much about Defenders. You could try the July issue of LRO - "20 years of Defender". ISTR it had a 4 page write up on them. Also trawl through the back issues for the buyers guides or even look at their web page since you are the internet guru. :wink:

Chris
Now: 51 plate Freelander Commercial.
Then: G Reg 200tdi Disco, 182,500 miles, 35ish mpg, Stickers, Home made snorkle, Deflex Bushes, Blah, blah, blah...

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 14:39:55 »
The 300Tdi is a very nice engine in a Defender, provided that 80MPh + is out of the question anyhow ...

The ones I've driven were as comfortable and pleasant an experience at 70 as a Defender can be (i.e. a little less refined than a Disco, but a marginal improvement on the Series2) and were practically unstopable off road.

The 300Tdi is probably best, and not all that expensive IMHO, depending on whether he's going to a 110 or a 90 and what he's using it for..

A V8 has some merit for being off road as you can generally move by displacement, although this is only a "real" advantage if you're competing in some form of event, for general purpose pottering off road where you can choose your own root the V8's offer little over the diseasel.  Fuel economy *is* as always a factor, and like it or not LPG is not as readily available as Diseasel is.
--

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 14:48:47 »
fair point will pass this on

they have a budget and so far the best they can get is a h reg 200tdi (4k budget)

her husband likes fiddling and wants a v8 cos it sounds good

she wants a diesel but wants her other half to be convinced

nothing against v8's its just her preference to have an oil burner!
lmfao

ChrisW

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 15:54:24 »
Dyf, like you said without going into an in depth discussion but to me at the end of the day the argument would be the fuel consumption between the two.

What is the use of the Defender going to be? Daily drive or just something to potter about in and tinker with?
If its a daily drive in my opinion it would have to be the Tdi.
If its just something more of a weekend toy then I'd throw caution to the wind and go for the V8.

As I understand it the 300's are still holding their prices very well. The 200's not so far behind and the V8's in a similar range as the 200's. Obviously all subject to service history etc etc.

Chris W

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 21:33:38 »
well its going to be her main car, to commute in as well as greenlaning and offroading (so she tells me, husband may have other plans, hes a car nut and wants to mod it!)

she doesnt want a v8 but he likes the sound of one.

i did advise him that the landy to drive isnt like any other car, he doesnt understand..

he will... :twisted:

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 23:03:04 »
Rip the exhaust off the TDi just below the manifold, then it'd sound like a V8....
--

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 23:12:35 »
As stated fuel is the biggest difference. Also a TDI will probably need less servicing.
The other thing that will be a factor is 90 or 110. 110s seem to be slightly cheaper so a 300TDI 110 should be possible for that budget especially if they can take their time and shop around.
As for what to look at chassis and bulkhead (same as series) also the cappings on the rear body tend to rust, for starters.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal