AuthorTopic: My poorly jeep  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Adams_Stuff

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
My poorly jeep
« on: April 26, 2006, 10:54:22 »
Hi I am new to this so please bear with me if I ask some very silly questions.

I have 2 4x4's both need work doing

1st My Jeep Cherokee 93 (L) 2.5 Petrol Sport

I have been suffering with the following problem the enigne loses power and you have to stop.

:cry: The breather pipe from the rocker cover is full of a yellowy gloopy substance ( i guess a mixture of oil and water ) this goes through the pipe and lands on top of the air filter ( its not pretty ) I have looked into the engine via the filler cap and its just a normal oil colour and the dipstick is reading just a bit below full and the oil on that also looks fine.

What should I try first?

Offline EvilEd

Attack Member
My poorly jeep
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 22:06:19 »
Best thing to do is pop over to Birty's and post it on there... Lots of techy knowlege about all things jeep there...

http://birtydastardsjeepclub.com

If not, hang about here, there are a fair few of us over here too :)

EE :twisted:

mattyme

My poorly jeep
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 22:10:16 »
you could try just cleaning out all the oil breather pipes, if one has become overclogged it will block the air flow and condesation will mix with the oil and get deposited in the breathers where it condenses again.

Offline tim_aka_tim

Attack Member
My poorly jeep
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 22:38:29 »
Thats an easy one. Had the same on my 4.0. Assuming a 2.5 is similar, check that the smaller PCV breather isn't ether split or blocked. With no positive vacuum, pressure forces oil down the other breather into your air filter. In my case, the pipes were perished. A new set is about £30 from the stealership (for a 4.0)

mattyme

My poorly jeep
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 23:33:25 »
hehe!!! does that make me partly right then tim aka tim!?  :lol:

Offline tim_aka_tim

Attack Member
My poorly jeep
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 11:16:43 »
Yes Matt, I'd say so.

Reading original post further, I wouldn't expect that problem to cause the engine to lose power and stop, unless your air filter looks like a second oil sump. I really would take Ed's advice and head over to birtys to see what Dr. Mike thinks.

Offline Adams_Stuff

Attack Member
Many Thanks for answers so far
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 15:21:11 »
The air filter did look like some one had ouked on it and the breather pipe was completely full of gloop.

Today

I have taken off the rocker cover and hey presto the small grommety thing at the end of the ccv vacuum pipe where it enters the rocker cover  was completely blocked with carbon like deposits.

I will be refitting and testing saturday morning as work commitments have blown any chance of doing it today tomorrow.

Will update after the weekend.

mattyme

My poorly jeep
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 14:30:51 »
good luck, adam... hope you sort it!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal