AuthorTopic: Another couple of daft questions  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Old Warthog

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Another couple of daft questions
« on: April 15, 2006, 20:18:34 »
What are the correct tyre pressures for my S3 88"?  I'd hate to fail the MOT because of something daft like this.  Its on standard road biased tyres at the moment.

Can you fit brake servos to these?  When I drove it back the other day it was pretty scary with the amount of distance it took to stop.  I am getting the brakes looked at pre-MOT, but it would be nice not to have to stand on the pedal every time you need a bit of retardation :?

Cheers for your help

Keith

Offline joe90

Attack Member
  • Find me on twitter @joeohall
    • Loughborough
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 20:23:46 »
theres a square nut on the back of the brake mounting plate on the axel, this opperates a cam inside and the wear on the break shoes can be taken up as they wear down - scary stopping distances, sounds about right for a series 3.

I found my brake master cylinder leaked so kept having to pump the break peddle to get the right pressure. New cylinder and full set of pads from Paddocks soon sorted that out tho.

Not to sure about the tyre pressure, mine runs on Wildcat MST which recomends 28psi all round - the Haynes maual says 25 lb/in2 (PSI) section 11.1

hope that helps
Joe O'Halloran
2007 Discovery 3 GS 2.7L V6
1979 Series 3 88" 2.25L  Rag Top ERC915T

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 20:28:07 »
A servo is the way to go but you need to have the brakes set up first to get something out of them. A 90 servo and pedal fits nice. there is a small brake pipe conversion to do as the 90 servo and master has 2 output pipes and my series only had one. Easy done tho. There is a splitter below on the chassi which can be used....
WATER DRAWS LAND ROVERS LIKE IRON FILINGS TO A MAGNET
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Series3 90 look alike Project.
Skipton North Yorkshire

D E F R A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Re: Another couple of daft questions
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 21:57:10 »
Quote from: "Keith57"
What are the correct tyre pressures for my S3 88"?  I'd hate to fail the MOT because of something daft like this.  Its on standard road biased tyres at the moment.

I run my 109" at about 25 - 28 psi

Can you fit brake servos to these?  When I drove it back the other day it was pretty scary with the amount of distance it took to stop.  I am getting the brakes looked at pre-MOT, but it would be nice not to have to stand on the pedal every time you need a bit of retardation :?

Cheers for your help

Keith

A servo won't make it stop any better, it just means a bit less effort. Check the brake shoes are adjusted properly. If you insist then some S3s had a servo as standard, or you could fit 109 brakes or discs.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 01:03:49 »
the non servo brakes on my s3 are acually very good i think, again check adjustment, and make sure they are properly bled, that will make a lot of difference.

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 02:10:52 »
Check that there isn't a partially sezed or come to think a few partially seized wheel cylinder pistons. The non-servo system should still be able to lock the wheels or at least cause the nose end to dip when under heavy breakng. Check all the shoes are in good nick and that the drums are not too over sized causing the wheel cylinders to be at maximum expansion, so no more braking effort is availble at the shoes.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 13:41:18 »
Quote from: "mark.yellow.series.3"
the non servo brakes on my s3 are acually very good i think, again check adjustment, and make sure they are properly bled, that will make a lot of difference.

I totaly agree with you. A well set up set of drums are super for stopping a series motor....
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Skipton North Yorkshire

Offline Old Warthog

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 22:15:24 »
Thanks for the advice guys.  Have sourced and fitted a servo, bled the brakes and checked the adjustment*.  Bit better, but not a lot.  Will check The pistons next.

* The "I" in this case means 25% me, 75% Lee, my mate.  But at least I know what to do in future. :lol:

Have also managed to find a guy who has done lots of welding on Series models - it was him I got the servo off, for a pint!!  Friendly bunch you Series owners.

Cheers

Keith

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 10:39:15 »
Looks like ya hooked already mate. These series motors are a pain in the but keith but you just seem to get attached to them. There are plenty of things you can do to them but thats the problem because the list is never ending. I am at the moment the owner of 3 but one was bought for spares so its soon to be a square piece of metal. Found a few more spots on the old safari that need a welder so may be getting on with that soon.....

Series brakes are very hard to set up correctly. Once you have them at there best you need to drive it then they bed in and work more evenly. Which is a pain for the MOT as you need em right.....
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Skipton North Yorkshire

Offline fire boy si

Attack Member
daft questions
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 11:15:27 »
have a look on the series 3 website or better still become a member they haye a section with all the factory tyre sizes and presures
series land rovers dont leak they just mark their terratory

1972 s3 2/14 diesel hard top
235/85 R16 chaco mud terrains
para springs
Mill services sill bars
and currently off road (sorn)
still to come

spare wheel carrier
south down snorkel

dew1911

Re: Another couple of daft questions
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 11:17:46 »
but it would be nice not to have to stand on the pedal every time you need a bit of retardation :? Keith

Fancy fitting a Retarder? Our school buses use them and there a mean piece of kit for stopping :D

Offline Miniman

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 22:34:02 »
Hows the motor coming along keith ? Not seen much of you on here....
110 300tdi Everyday car.
90 200TDI Toy
Skipton North Yorkshire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal