AuthorTopic: Warn Winch  (Read 1750 times)

Warn Winch
« on: April 10, 2006, 17:34:38 »
I fitted a new Warn M8274-50 winch in November of last year, took the same one of and sent it for re-con but worked out cheaper to buy a new one. We were told at the time this was the Dogs doodles of winch so stuck with the same model. It has only been used 4 times in anger and to be honest not worked as hard as one might think. Anyway, the only time we needed it proper It broke, took it back and the motor was burnt out and one solenoid had gone. Same symptoms as the one we took off. Anyone have experience of the model and should I expect it in the future.

Offline rollazuki

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Warn Winch
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 17:41:03 »
What were you doing with it? sounds like mebbe you overworked it.Theyre only a piffling 8000 pound pull ya know.

Seriously, If there was a lot of cable still on the drum, and you had a single line pull to a well stuck landy, you are way beyond its capacity.
Its got a very deep drum, with plenty of wraps of cable, so Im guessing that if youve only taken 1 or 2 wraps off the drum, you might only have potential to pull maybe 2-3000 pounds.Not much.

mebbe try to get the winch vehicle further back to get more wraps off the drum, or snatch block it?

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, just a couple of thoughts
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline Tigger

Attack Member
Warn Winch
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 17:46:32 »
My 8274 is years old and gets some *serious* abuse !

I've never burnt out a winch motor, although solenoids can be a weak point in tough use.  (I run an Albright contactor on mine instead.)

You do seem to have had some bad luck there, and I would say it isn't characteristic of the model.

One thing I have learned over the years is that installation and the rest of the system are vitally important in any installation.  Nice, big power cables and a good earth straight back to the battery are important.  Also a properly rated battery and alternator are important as voltage drops can be lethal for winch motors.
Tigger

Warn Winch
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 17:46:54 »
it was a bit of a bitch, closest tree was 200m away, snatch was not an option and no landanchor to help. So all the wire was off the drum, just a bit concirned we got the wrong one

Offline kwik.kwak

Attack Member
Re: Warn Winch
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 19:18:38 »
Quote from: "V8MUD"
I fitted a new Warn M8274-50 winch in November of last year, took the same one of and sent it for re-con but worked out cheaper to buy a new one. We were told at the time this was the Dogs doodles of winch so stuck with the same model. It has only been used 4 times in anger and to be honest not worked as hard as one might think. Anyway, the only time we needed it proper It broke, took it back and the motor was burnt out and one solenoid had gone. Same symptoms as the one we took off. Anyone have experience of the model and should I expect it in the future.

i have experience of that winch my m8 has one on his old range rover, its crap :P

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Warn Winch
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 19:24:40 »
if its so crap,ill buy it of you,

<wonders if its bad installation or uneducated users,sheesh id have an 8274 in a flash,can see them being crap if 98% of the challange guys use them>
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline Tigger

Attack Member
Warn Winch
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 20:02:34 »
it was a bit of a bitch, closest tree was 200m away, snatch was not an option and no landanchor to help. So all the wire was off the drum, just a bit concirned we got the wrong one

All the rope off the drum means the winch was working at it's most efficient.  Best pull for lowest current draw is achieved with a small amount of rope on the drum.

8274 is still one of the best electric winches you can get IMHO
Tigger

Offline SteveG

Attack Member
Re: Warn Winch
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 21:15:04 »
took it back and the motor was burnt out and one solenoid had gone. Same symptoms as the one we took off. Anyone have experience of the model and should I expect it in the future.

If this was all that was wrong with your first winch you were given really bad advice in buying a new one. They should have advised you to put on an uprated motor, like 6HP XP or 4.6HP Bowmotor and change out solenoids for either Albrights and Warn contactors. About 270-300 pounds all in.

You shouldn't be having problems with the motor. The only time I burnt one out was when the brake failed on a steep climb and was understandable.

Talk to Phil at PG winches for all of your winch needs. You'll get straight advice and no sales pitch. http://www.winchrepairs.co.uk/mambo/index.php

Cheers

Steve

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Warn Winch
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 23:42:41 »
Yup gotta agree, sounds like you had your leg lifted. Like Steve said for 300 you could have had an almost challenge spec winch. I marshalled for the scorpion extreme event at Kirton last year. I was stunned how good one competitors winch was ...chattign to him all it had was the 6hp motor form an xp9.5 and it was scary fast. He was pulling himself out from thick slop that covered his 35 simexes - with ease.
Kwik Kwak, what is he thinking of changing to? a 2k hydraulic set up?
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Warn Winch
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 10:29:29 »
Thanks for the advise guys, I actually got it from Abril who told me are Warns only importer. I asked them what the best winch was for your bucks and was told this one. When taking it back this time I was told people were putting larger motors on but warranties were void. Not good if its going to cost an arm and a leg to fix. In their favour, an “engineer” replaced the parts very quickly. I like the idea of a contactor rather than solenoids but was not told about them. KiwkKwaks just jealous because I have a roll cage and he has a load bent tube and a hole in his leg

Offline kwik.kwak

Attack Member
Warn Winch
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 11:18:34 »
Thanks for the advise guys, I actually got it from Abril who told me are Warns only importer. I asked them what the best winch was for your bucks and was told this one. When taking it back this time I was told people were putting larger motors on but warranties were void. Not good if its going to cost an arm and a leg to fix. In their favour, an “engineer” replaced the parts very quickly. I like the idea of a contactor rather than solenoids but was not told about them. KiwkKwaks just jealous because I have a roll cage and he has a load bent tube and a hole in his leg

:lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal