AuthorTopic: Kinetic Ropes  (Read 1795 times)

Offline matthew

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Kinetic Ropes
« on: August 21, 2003, 03:55:56 »
What is it that makes them Kinetic? Is it what they are made of? Or is it the way that the strands are in sort of 3 pairs?

The reason for asking is that I bought what I thought was a straight forward recovery rope at an autojumble but on looking at it more closely it appears to be constructed in the same way as the Kinetic rope that I already have. Might the new one also be kinetic?
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline andyb

Attack Member
    • Tilshead, Wiltshire
Kinetic Ropes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 09:19:52 »
It what they are made of that makes them 'kenetic' ropes.

You can 'test' by hand. Stand on one end and pull :) You'll feel the springy-ness; when compared to a normal rope.

IMHO, there is nothing to fear from a kenetic rope...just tow balls that are pigeon poo welded to rusty front bumpers :)

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Kinetic Ropes
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 12:26:14 »
Quote from: "andyb"

IMHO, there is nothing to fear from a kenetic rope...just tow balls that are birdsh!t welded to rusty front bumpers :)

I agree, having seen a tow ball ripped out of a front bumper and launched. It made quite a bang against the back of the Stalwart that was doing the pulling.
Treat them with a bit of respect and make sure that all recovery points are upto the job and you shouldn't have a problem.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Kinetic Ropes
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 14:56:24 »
I agree that there is nothing to fear per-se about a Kinetic rope.  They should always (in my view) be used in conjuction with a bridle, I never trust a single anchor point where there is that level of energy involved.

Also, a Kinetic rope should not be used routinely, but rather as a means to recover a vehicle where other methods have failed.

Kinetic ropes, as with winches are dangerous when used without the care and respect they demand.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline George the Disco

Attack Member
Kinetic Ropes
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 17:02:42 »
Theres a very good article about ropes on difflock.com written by Mr Bowyer.

Chris
Now: 51 plate Freelander Commercial.
Then: G Reg 200tdi Disco, 182,500 miles, 35ish mpg, Stickers, Home made snorkle, Deflex Bushes, Blah, blah, blah...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal