AuthorTopic: Anti Rambling poster found in Whitworth  (Read 3969 times)

Anti Rambling poster found in Whitworth
« on: March 07, 2006, 15:45:50 »
Edited

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 15:57:51 »
Not really helping the cause and, IMHO, not in the spirit of this club either.  :?
Sorry to be such a stick in the mud.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 16:01:15 »
:arrow:

Offline TimM

Attack Member
    • Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 16:04:10 »
We do have a sense of humour (and it is funny  :lol: ), but Budgie is right -  the bobble hats can read this (and they ARE looking  :cry: ).
Tim
1995 Discovery 300TDi ES Manual (Dave)
2009 Range Rover TDV8

In the area? Notts / Derbys / S.Yorks Pub Meet click here

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 16:08:38 »
i have a sense of humour! PM me!  :lol:

fair point tho, MC is an open public board, and as such, cant really risk anything too nasty, regardless of how humerous we may see it..

...but feel free to PM it to me  :lol:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 16:09:26 »

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 16:39:40 »
It's not a lack of humour Dave, I just didn't think the poster was right for this board as it's a family based forum.
Whether they hate us or not doesn't mean we have to show the same contempt and I didn't ask you to remove it, that was your own choice and at the end of the day it was only MY opinion, not that of the whole club.  :wink:

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 17:00:12 »

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 17:23:01 »
Quote from: "Dave2a"
If you're too frightned to even laugh at your enemy than there's not much chance is there?

I don't see ramblers as "the enemy" as we share the common goal of trying to gain/keep our right to access the countryside for the enjoyment of our favoured pass-time. It's just the mode of transport that differs.  :wink:

Why not? What do you want to do, smile as they walk all over you (no pun intended)?
No, why not try working together for the benefit of all?

There, told you I had a sence of humour!!  :mrgreen:

dew1911

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 17:32:24 »
Can you PM me the link? :D

Not good though, we really don't need to go down to their Level.

Offline drutt

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 17:33:38 »
Quote from: "Budgie"

Why not? What do you want to do, smile as they walk all over you (no pun intended)?
No, why not try working together for the benefit of all?

There, told you I had a sence of humour!!  :mrgreen:

Why not indeed, if they're busy walking over him they're not walking down one of our roads :D

on a semi serious note,  having a sense of humour is very important, however so is a little discretion.  Generally speaking there is a lot of misinformation about and the internet (and in particular forums such as this one) are breeding grounds for information which can, and will , be used out of context.

We have seen trends whereby pictures from pay and play sites used as evidence of lances being torn up,  in situations such as that there is little middle ground available and it's understandable why some people are perhaps a little overly defensive about the image they see being portrayed.

on a personal note, I'd like to thank the pair of you for working out the difference of opinion in a mature and well reasoned manner.   if anything is going to help our case, it's keeping a level head in an argument...

Offline LandRoger

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Salisbury Plain Wilts.
Admin
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 20:37:35 »
Hey Drutt, That response was a great piece of level headed Moderating,
 Refreshing M8
K.I.S.S. Keep It  Simple Stupid          
I am not a complete IDIOT !! have no right thumb,
1961.Series 2 v8  + 03 Vitara SWB.
MG Midget 2,0L Pinto 1973  (swifty).

Offline Grant

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 20:56:54 »
Quote from: "TimM"
(and they ARE looking  :cry: ).

ramblers are like the KGB- they're organised, armed (well with compasses & rucksacks) and maybe even among us!

how can we can sleep at night?! :shock:  :lol:

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 09:53:09 »
:cry:  8)  :?  :roll:  :wink:  :lol:  :shock:  :D  :evil:

Offline drutt

• Administrator
    Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 10:15:34 »
I put up a spoof version of this as a joke against the damage caused by rambling. The first reaction from a rep of this club can be seen above.

I never actually got chance to see what you posted, and ironically enough the Ramblers Association do actually do more damage (in terms of fiscal renumeration for repairs) than we do,  Helicoptering in stone to the peak district to repair paths is neither cheap, nor is it on a vehicular right of way.  These details are however overlooked when "people" view the argument.

I guess it is far easier to make a class distinction and instant judgement about the car someone is in, than the boots they are wearing.   The alternative way of looking at it is that they have a better PR department, either could be the case.

Like I said before, it matters not what anyone does or says on a forum like this; those who oppose "off-roading" or  the use of green lanes will not change their ideas.

This is sadly true.   Although, arguably that is not perhaps the exact nature of the "cause" that we *should* be discussing.

I regularly go greenlaning and have ALWAYS stuck to the so-called 'tread lightly' thinking and the GLASS code of conduct. Well, where has all this being 'responsible' and not antagonising (for that is what poking fun at them in my poster seems to be seen as) the opposition got us? NOWHERE!

Well, I can't argue with that, since it's perfectly true.    Although perhaps "nowhere" is a little further than we've actually gotten :(

All I was doing was having a laugh but I don't understand the fear that things said or done on a forum such as this can be used as ammunition against us - it's too late now anyway isn't it? If the anti 4x4 poster in the other thread IS genuine then the authorities are either fools for supporting a misleading campaign or are genuinely supporting misinformation - either way we are losers.

Again, we're in agreement, having not seen the poster in question I really can't comment too definitively on it's contents.  The "fear" comes from the fact that anyone can join a club with any intention and that any information can be taken out of context.

For me the "fear" comes from examples such as the following.  I was accosted by Greenpeace outside of the local Land Rover garage, who were waving flyers and gosh knows what else about how Discoveries do 2mpg and kill sparrows from 300 feet away, they also had some pictures showing the "damage" greenlaning was doing to the countryside.  

Now, as it happens after pointing out that all their arguments were wrong, and that the offending shots of "green laning" were actually taken at TixOver quarry which is private land I got asked to sod off.

However,  had I not been there to point out that they were talking rubbish, then how many of the "general public" would have been convinced.

The fear is that, as you say the damage is already done and that there is no way to recover.   If this is indeed the case, and you're most likely right in that, then the "cause" shifts to one of damage limitation.

If it is NOT genuine then anti 4x4 people are being very underhanded in their aims and will stop at nothing to achieve them. And what do we do?
We argue that we don't want to upset them with a bit of humour...

It's that damage limitation thing I think,  the last thing anybody wants is for anything we say to be taken out of context and used against us.  Although, to be honest I suspect they would be hard pressed to use the poster you described against us,  partly I'd like to see them try as it would serve to point out that they really are just a bunch of humourless self righteous individuals persuing their own agenda, one which I can't help but feel is as firmly rooted in jealousy and hyperbole as it is in any desire for justice or fair use.

Then again, you could take all of that to be utter codswallop and just imagine that it was probably a single persons mild over reaction to a very emotive subject, such as the loss of a hobby and "way of life" probably is.

Either way, I'd like to thank you for your decoram, and reitterate that you were not being told off, or criticised in any formal way by the "club", and that your contributions are as always welcome and respected.

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 12:06:14 »
Its a lost cause already, being polite, nice and British aint gonna win it for us.

I say censor the poster to remove the mucky language(after all its a family site, not ORRP) and put it back on the site.

Im sure all the spying ramblers and antis(I have met a nice rambler or two out there) will enjoy the comedy moment it supplies.....

Yours truly tired of hearing about being nice to the antis for some reason or other.
Rollazuki
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • Lochaber
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 13:04:07 »
Well chaps, I seem to have started off on the wrong foot here
Not at all Dave, the way I see it you've started off with a meaningful discussion about a topic that effects us all, conducted in a sensible and rational manner. Which is, after all, what this forum is about.

I put up a spoof version of this as a joke against the damage caused by rambling. The first reaction from a rep of this club can be seen above.
The club reps on here are a single point of contact for members in their area and they premote the club to the best of their abilities in that area. We have no more say in the running of this forum than any other member on here, that's the job of the Site Admin & Forum Mods. My comments & opinions are exactly that and I'm sorry if the "club rep" part of my signature indicated any other intention.  :oops:  

OK, I admit I got it wrong and didn't know the rules about what language that you can and cannot use on here (it contained a swear word) and that is the main reason why I removed the picture.
Why not PM the poster to Drutt and let him see the content, if he's OK with it then he can put it back up so the thread makes more sence to others reading it?  if nothing else he can have a laugh at it!!  :D  

I can't argue with the rest of what you've written.
I just hope that this thread hasn't put you off the Mud Club and I, for one, look forward to you making a regular and active contribution to these boards in the future. After all, there's over 2500 other members that arn't me, so that can't be too bad, can it?  :mrgreen:

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 14:35:38 »

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 15:23:41 »
I'd only question one thing about it and that is that even in humour anything suggesting harming anyone within the cause could backfire on us dramatically.

A similar thing happened on the RA open forum in the Rights Of Way section. Some of us were on that forum and we'd try to get our point of view across to those with an open mind.
As soon as the conversations started to be taken over by individuals advocating violence towards 4x4 drivers they scored a massive own goal and we had started to get decent dialogue going with some of the RA members. Because we were making headway the RA decided to close down the Rights of Way forum.

I guess what I am trying to say is that anything (even in jest) advocating violence could do harm to the headway we are making.

I can say that we are making headway in the fight and even when the fat lady appears to have sung it still won't be over.

Keeping logs of RUPPs that you've driven (I think) might be the swaying factor once NERC has been decided. But NERC still has to go through the commons and the lobbying has to be taking place.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline johnpirate

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2006, 16:58:47 »
I think to call a piece of legislation NERC is class especially as thats who its going to  vote on it. :lol:
1996 Defender 300Tdi Truck cab Ifor Williams top
1955 Austin Champ Rolls Royce power!!     
1955 BSA Bantam 125cc                                        
If you cant fix it with Duct tape you havent used enough duct tape.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal