AuthorTopic: Series 3 Winch Mounting  (Read 3892 times)

Offline MOTORSPORT_SAFETY

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Series 3 Winch Mounting
« on: May 18, 2004, 13:30:46 »
Hi all

After a nice weekend break at the LRO Show I came back with some nice shiny bits to go on the s3 im rebuilding, just working on the replacement chassis trying to get all the MOD paint off  :(

One of the things I picked up at the show was a 8000lb Kew winch I would like a warn or superwinch x9 and id also like the money  :lol:

Well only problem left is the best place to mount it on the front im thinking of puting in some large box section in between the rails and bolting it to that with the box welded to the chassie it needs to sit back a bit as I have an A bar to go on to and some nice big shiny lights but thats the easy bit lol

Any one give any recomendations on this one as I want to get it done properly and not botch it up.

All the best
Paul

Offline HiFonics

Attack Member
Series 3 Winch Mounting
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 23:47:59 »
The series I have seen with winches on tend to fabricate something that sits as you say between the chassis rails. You should be able to fabricate something that nicely fits in there and sits nicely behind the bumper. The other common thing that you should probably do is reinforce the front bumper too thereby allowing you to have a nice front recovery point. The easiest way to do this is to peal back one end of the bumper and welt in a nice piece of box section then weld the end back up.

Make sure you post some pictures of whatever you decide on. If you need any more help with how to do it contact paul@4x4partshop.co.uk. His truck is in the picture below. As you have a low profile winch you should be able to sit it clear of the a-bar.

Ben
99 Defender 90 TD5
04 Defender 110 TD5

Offline Stormin

Attack Member
Series 3 Winch Mounting
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 08:49:08 »
Ben's picture shows a similar arrangement I had on my S111. Warn 874 as well. The mounting was bolted to the dumb irons and also to the front cross member. Behind the bumper was bolted a length of 3" channel spanning the width of the dumb irons with recover points bolted on. Just long enough to slip behind the bumper, without having to touch the bumper ends.
Stormin'    

Have Land Rover,
Will travel.
LR  90 2.8Tdi
76 Triumph Spitfire 1500
SJ 410 (Rolled and now a projet)
D.E.F.R.A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.
www.memoryboxmedia.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal