AuthorTopic: Chassis Swap  (Read 724 times)

Offline joe90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Find me on twitter @joeohall
    • Loughborough
  • Referrals: 0
Chassis Swap
« on: February 26, 2006, 19:47:33 »
Has anyone swapped there landy chassis for a replacement galvanised one? Ive found that i now have the funding to go ahead with the project and was woundering how people went on.

Already got the parabolic springs, re-con engine and gear box which ive done over the past few years and a body that just needs a re-spray. so was just considering swapping the lot onto a new chassis with a new wiring loom.

Also whilst its in bits, whats involved in putting a Rover V8 in  :twisted: i know ive got to uprate the brakes - anything else??? and one last thing, does anyone know of anyone produceing stainless steel bolt kits for the whole chassis swap thing????

reckon thats covered it all

Thanks in advance

Joe
Joe O'Halloran
2007 Discovery 3 GS 2.7L V6
1979 Series 3 88" 2.25L  Rag Top ERC915T

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
Chassis Swap
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 20:53:02 »
i had my old chassis galved after replacing all the out riggers, that could be a bit cheaper to do, i stripped all the body work off panel by panel and refurbished each part as it went back on (painstaking but good end result), or you could leave the body complete and just remove the fixing bolts and lift the body off in one lump. As for stainless bolts any bolt supplier should be able to supply these although i wouldnt bother, if you assemble everything with lots of copper grease the bolts will stay in good shape for years and years, the only reason there hard to get off now is the fact they werent assemble with any grease. there are bolts on mine that came off piece of cake because of an oil leak on the engine had kept the water out.

hope this helps a little.

Offline mark.yellow.series.3

Attack Member
Chassis Swap
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 21:03:47 »
oh the V8
got a v8 to fit mine but not without some problems to overcome.
other people will have found other problems but i had clearence issues with the exhaust manifolds ( i got some stainless tube type from rimmer bros (£330 pair)). steering arm off the steering box hit the exhaust, also bulkhead didnt fit round exhaust ( cut and weld the foot well). having a custom made radiator (for extra cooling). couldnt keep series front end due to RR type water pump sticking out to far so radiator has to go further forward now having defender ( and stage1 ) bonnet and front grill.
also having a custom stainless exhaust.
But i have seen V8's with the series style front end but i think you need the SD1 type water pump and timing case ( i think).

i have kept the orignal brakes, as the drum brakes are nearly as efficent as discs if you keep them well maintained.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal