AuthorTopic: FWH and swivel grease  (Read 1516 times)

Offline aog

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
FWH and swivel grease
« on: February 11, 2006, 09:48:23 »
Hi All!

Might be a can of worms, but was is the thoughts on swivel grease for SIII when fitted with FWH?

I have just got some for mine, not realising I need to run with hubs engaged every month to kep lubricated - I have only had the car a week, so still lesrning.......

It the grease is thick, will it lube everything that should be??? And if so, would it be better? I assume with FWH free, it would not drain off the swivel oil...???

So assuming I engage the hubs every so often, I would still be ok?? Is it fluid enough to get to all the places????

Hmmmm. !!!

Any thoughts????
Alistair O'Grady.

Now sold for full restoration
1971 Series III Safari Station Wagon
Chassis no 8, 2.25 Petrol.
Selectro FWH, Fairey overdrive, Weber, optical dizzy, CB, GPS, CD MP3 even got a heated seat!
Plus 35 years of moss in the window channels!!

Kettering
Northants.

Offline MisterC

Attack Member
FWH and swivel grease
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 19:24:28 »
Mmmm.  I suspect opinion will be divided on this one.  The theory of the pro EP90 crowd will be that the grease will not lubricate the top swivel housing bearing enough and dry out, hence the need to engage fwh once a month to throw it around.  I decided to go for grease as my swivels were not in exactly pristine condition and grease didn't leak out (quite as much) as EP90.  I use my SIII for a 30 mile round trip to work every day, and have had grease in for c. 18 months, with no obvious ill effect.  I do religiously engage FWH (and 4 wheel high and low) once a month for a couple of miles.  However, adding grease to avoid changing leaky swivel seals is not a good tactic.  People are put off by the, apparently huge job.  To get around this you can cut the seal (and new retainer if required), and twist over swivel without disturbing anything.  Again, a technique I've use, with success (so far).  Hope this helps.  Paul
1972 SWB Petrol 2.25 SIII, safari top side windows, Limestone, FWH, 750xR16s, Weber carb, Kenlowe fan, Maplin DIY ignition amplifier and now overdrive.  Coming soon...(cheap) SU carb conversion and (cheap) electronic dizzy conversion (he said hopefully).

Offline aog

Attack Member
FWH and swivel grease
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 19:34:02 »
Quote from: "MisterC"
Mmmm.  I suspect opinion will be divided on this one.  The theory of the pro EP90 crowd will be that the grease will not lubricate the top swivel housing bearing enough and dry out, hence the need to engage fwh once a month to throw it around.  I decided to go for grease as my swivels were not in exactly pristine condition and grease didn't leak out (quite as much) as EP90.  I use my SIII for a 30 mile round trip to work every day, and have had grease in for c. 18 months, with no obvious ill effect.  I do religiously engage FWH (and 4 wheel high and low) once a month for a couple of miles.  However, adding grease to avoid changing leaky swivel seals is not a good tactic.  People are put off by the, apparently huge job.  To get around this you can cut the seal (and new retainer if required), and twist over swivel without disturbing anything.  Again, a technique I've use, with success (so far).  Hope this helps.  Paul

Ok, I think I will go for it. Mine has had new swivels and seals fitted already, so at least I won't have to change the oil once done. I found the instructions that came with my FWH, and it suggests running them one a month, so I will certainly do that.

As for running in 4 wheel drive on the road, won't it [!Expletive Deleted!] up the transmission??? I never ran my Disco in diff lock, I guess that is a different kettle of fish in a series. I must admit, I have not run it in 4 wheel drive yet......

I will tell my friend about the swivel seal trick, he has very leaky swivels!!!

Thanks
Alistair O'Grady.

Selectro FWH, Fairey overdrive, Weber, optical dizzy, CB, GPS, CD MP3 even got a heated seat!

Kettering
Northants.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
FWH and swivel grease
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 19:44:54 »
With new swivel seals, you should be on with 90 really, you have u/j's in there not cv's. That is the two main reasons for changing the lubrication.

You dont run 4wd on tarmac at all, you should not need to run it at all really unless the going is bad. Series are rwd only in normal High range

If you try to run in 4wd, the front end will soo remind you why you dont, but remember to make sure that your fwhubs do release properly before you need to use 4wd, I managed half a days play in 2wd before snapping a rear haf shaft and finding out one of my hubs was not engaged, and left me stuck
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline aog

Attack Member
FWH and swivel grease
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 20:20:13 »
Quote from: "hobbit"
With new swivel seals, you should be on with 90 really, you have u/j's in there not cv's. That is the two main reasons for changing the lubrication.

You dont run 4wd on tarmac at all, you should not need to run it at all really unless the going is bad. Series are rwd only in normal High range

If you try to run in 4wd, the front end will soo remind you why you dont, but remember to make sure that your fwhubs do release properly before you need to use 4wd, I managed half a days play in 2wd before snapping a rear haf shaft and finding out one of my hubs was not engaged, and left me stuck

Well, I assume they have new seals, the swivels are certainly new. I was thinking of changing to grease as the housing look a little oily on the outside, I guess the oil is leaking out. Maybe not?

So what's the point of companys selling grease for Series then? I ordered differant stuff to the Disco etc, they were a different part number.
Alistair O'Grady.

Kettering
Northants.

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
FWH and swivel grease
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 21:45:34 »
Dunno really, I use swivel grease in one of my lightweights, but thats because they leaked like mad, a smear of oil on the swivels is no great worry
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal