AuthorTopic: Question?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline turtle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Question?
« on: April 30, 2004, 09:38:36 »
Received an email from a Freelander owner asking for help and advice, please read below and if you can give any help. I will send her your replys.

"I got your number from the Land Rover Owner International Magazine - Club Listing Section and I wondered if you could help me with the following;

I bought an 'S' Reg Freelander (2nd hand) in November last year and have had it for 5 months now.  It is in very condition for its five years and has done approx 50,000 miles.

However, the head gasket has now gone and after taking it into a Land Rover dealer I have been told it needs a new engine (that is going to cost me the best part of £3,500!)  They also told me this is a common fault with Freelanders.

Does anyone know of anywhere or anyone I can contact in order to see if this is true?  I find it extremely hard to believe that a five year old car with such low mileage that has not been used for off-roading or any such purchase should require a new engine already.

I heard a rumour that this has also had articles on the tv show 'Watchdog' and that some owners were able to be re-compensated for the cost or part of the costs that were being incurred.

The vehicle has a full service history maintain by only Land Rover dealers and was last services in October 03.  

Would anyone please contact me and let me know if there is anywhere I can write to or contact for help and advise with regard to the above as it seems wholly unacceptable to me.

Hoping to hear from someone soon

With kind regards

Cheryl "

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 14:41:31 »
Dont think I can offer much.

I did here of a Shogun that was imported from New Zealand that required a new engine at about 15 months (or there about). Unfortunately, this was not covered by warranty as the Mitsubishi dealerships in N.Z. have a different agreement than over here and only give 12 months.....

The guy had to pay over £3k for repairs!!!
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Question?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 16:15:39 »
There was a thing about this in LROi last month or the month before someone on here is bound to know the details. I read it myself but didn't pay much attention. I seem to remember there was some sort of warranty issue about it. But land rover were trying to put the blame on the driver for not looking at the temparature gauge often enough. Too busy looking at the speedo trying to avoid the speed cameras I shouldn't wonder.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline pas

Attack Member
Question?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 19:01:12 »
It IS a common problem with the K series engines if the cooling system isn't bled properly, my x has had one from new, the head gasket went at ~6000miles and the engine needed replacing at about 18k as "all 4 cylinder linners were spinning" marshall LR (cambridge) condemned the engine and replaced under warranty. I also have a friend who has an MGF (uses the same engine) that had 2 or 3 head gaskets go in quick succession

sorry for the bad news But HTH

Paul
Paul
 with a gased V8i Disco lifted with lots of home made mods

Offline turtle

Attack Member
Question?
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 09:38:27 »
Cheers chaps for your replys, I'll forward on your replays. I will also check last months LRO see if that helps in anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal