AuthorTopic: DPA Pump Timing  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
DPA Pump Timing
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:56:32 »
Right then chaps - Taken the timing cover off the flywheel housing and also the DPA pump to replace it with my spare one. Can only find 1 slight scribed mark on the flywheel which I assume is the 16* BTDC mark so ligned it up with the pointer. Scribed a horizontal line across the face where the pump fits and then marked a 20* mark to line up with the splined shaft - problem is the splined shaft lines up at 40* from the horizontal. Will the timing tool correct this or is it just way out. (Its the old style DPA pump). There is also no scribed mark on the pump flange to line up with the pointer.
Please help before I put it back together and find it doesnt work
Cheers
Andy

Offline cstokes

Attack Member
DPA Pump Timing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 23:38:12 »
usually there is 2 marks on the flywheel, one at TDC and one at 16 degrees, I would suspect theat you have the flywheel on the tdc mark as the splined shaft would go beyond the 20 degrees differance you have if the scew gear was a tooth out.  I would check all your setting on the shaft and on the flywheel behore you go any further if i were you.  The timing tool wont correct the timing if the scew gear is fitted in the wrong place as this tool is only to adjust the pump pointer, not the pump itself.

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
DPA Pump Timing
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 22:29:11 »
Cheers Chris :D  Had another thought today - is it possible that in the past the flywheel could have been fitted 90 degrees out or will they only fit one way. (Never taken one off before) So if thats the case the whole thing will be way out.
Gonna pop the rocker cover off and try and set it from number 1 piston.

Offline cstokes

Attack Member
DPA Pump Timing
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 20:24:34 »
I can definatly say that the flywheel will only go on one way as it is dowelled, but i seem to remember that there is actually 2 differant flywheels for the diesel depending on the year, and whether it is 3 or 5 main bearing crank.

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
DPA Pump Timing
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 23:26:58 »
Thanks again Chris :D . All back together now - and correctly timed :D . Ran the battery flat though trying to bleed the injectors - ah well...will be running tomorrow

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
DPA Pump Timing
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 22:27:55 »
Quote from: "Andy the Landy"
ah well...will be running tomorrow

Erm...no it wont :?  :roll: . Plenty diesel in injection pump from the bleed screws but cant get diesel through to the injectors (turning engine over on key with injector pipes slackened). Is it possible for the 'stop' lever mechanism to be faulty within the pump :?:  Help - its getting on my t*ts now :evil:

Offline cstokes

Attack Member
DPA Pump Timing
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 21:47:37 »
THe diesel pump is a swine to bleed out, have you remembered to bleed the actuator housing on the back of the pump, it is the bit that sticks out the back of the pump (small black casting between the pump body and the block).  I had loads of trouble with mine after a pump repair.  The other thing is after manually priming the pump with the little lever under the small fuel pump this must be lifted back into the upermost position, otherwise the small lift pump will fail to operate the plunger inside and you will get no low supply pressure to the rotor head of the main diesel pump, and then no fuel to the injectors.

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
DPA Pump Timing
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 22:39:17 »
Ahhhhhhhhh  - hopefully could be onto something there then. Have found no referance on Haynes or Green Bible that mentions actuator housing. I was just priming the system as per the book. Filter 1st then air screws on pump body. Even took the non return valve from bottom on injection off and blew through with air line with slight air seepage so was going to replace that.
Does the actuator need bleeding in between bleeding the air screws on pump body?
Sometimes had fuel coming from air screw whilst pumping lift pump lever and then tried bleeding again with no result.
Will try your tip - thanks for that one :D
Andy

Offline Andy the Landy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
DPA Pump Timing
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 23:29:31 »
Is the actuator housing behind the marked arrows?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal