AuthorTopic: I cannot select 4x4 help!  (Read 3675 times)

Danny Boy

I cannot select 4x4 help!
« on: April 21, 2004, 19:10:26 »
I am unable to select 4x4 (high or low)? I can select low ratio but still only the back weels are driven.
The yellow knob can be pulled up and down at will and doesn't need to be released by the red lever (not good). I have taken the floor up and the links out side of the housing are all connected. As I pull the yellow lever up and down I can see the rod moving in and out. Tim Burt has been very helpfull on this matter and thinks that it is probably that the dog clutch inside the 4wd selector housing is stuck. Any advise on this problem would be greatly apreciated as I am anxious about taking things apart. At least it goes at the moment, if only on the roads.

Lucy-Jo

Re: I cannot select 4x4 help!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 20:55:24 »
I suspect Tim is probably right (he frequently is  :P ), but it's still worth checking a couple of other things to be sure:

1. Jack up a front road wheel and turn it by hand. You should see the front prop shaft rotate.

2. Try the same thing with the other front wheel.

If the prop shaft rotates for both tests then you have eliminated possible faults with the free-wheeling hubs (if fitted), half shafts and front diff.

The Series 3 Owners Club do a good deal on reconditioned gearboxes if it comes to that - I'm sure they could sort you out if you only need a transfer box and not a gearbox.

Having said that, the transfer box is relatively simple and easy to open up and work on. If you are happy taking a head off an engine, then you are probably capable of tackling a transfer box given the book of instructions.

Good luck - don't forget to come back and tell us what it was when you've fixed it so we can all learn from your experience.

James - ex Series 3 owner who wants to get another!
--
Discovery - Katie
http://www.ejames.co.uk

Danny Boy

Thanks James
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:53:27 »
Thanks James. I shall try what you sugested and get back to you :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal