AuthorTopic: Parabolic Springs  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Pete5844

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Parabolic Springs
« on: April 19, 2004, 18:32:00 »
The springs on my S3 are 20yrs old and the shocks look about the same.Can anyone tell me are Parabolic Springs worth the extra cost or would I be better off getting a bit of foam to sit on.

Pete
Pete

Better Smeg than Dead

Landy Series 111
Pajero 2.5

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 18:45:15 »
In my (very humble) opinion, they aren't worth the money

Standard springs are not intrinsically bad, they just tend to get rusted up and get stiff.

Get a new set of standard springs, replace all the chassis bushes and make sure you keep the springs moving.  I used to drive mine up a set of wheel ramps, one corner at a time every so often to make sure everything was moving and working.

Parabolics *are* better, but when I looked, a single spring was the cost of a new set of 4 std.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline robbie

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 19:13:56 »
An old timer mechanic who looked after trucks in the 50's and 60's used to open the leafs apart on the springs one at a time and squirt oil in between them. He swore by it and I never saw one of his trucks with a broken spring :D

Not sure if this would atract too much dirt etc during the use we put the vehicles through. just a thought

Mind you, I did do it on the Suzie when I bought it and it reduced the squeeking somewhat anyway......
If I could only find some mud to play in, I would be as happy as the preverbial pig!!!

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/robbie/gallery/
http://www.mudpics.co.uk/gallery/index.php

1985 Land Rover 90 being worked on for French plates soon
2002 Peugeot 406 GLX Estate - more economic then the Disco, but not as much fun :(
2005 Toyota Yaris T3 - new driving school car

Lucy-Jo

Re: Parabolic Springs
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 20:31:59 »
I fitted Rocky Mountain parabolics on my 88" Series III. Yes, the ride was more supply than that of a similar vehicle with new almost new semi-elliptic springs. However, in hindsight I wouldn't pay the extra for parabolics next time.

New semi-elliptics will improve the ride dramatically over that which badly rusted up and worn out semi-elliptics will offer.

Given the cost of brand new semi-elliptics and the fact they will last for many many years with virtually no maintenance (if exercised occasionally), I wouldn't bother trying to resurrect old ones.

If you want to read about the fun I had fitting parabolics on my 88", then see this link to my website:

http://www.ejames.co.uk/landrover/parabolics.html

James
--
Discovery - Katie
http://www.ejames.co.uk

Offline Pete5844

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 20:15:17 »
Can anyone tell me how far extra Parabolic's would lift the body
Pete

Better Smeg than Dead

Landy Series 111
Pajero 2.5

Offline Stormin

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004, 21:39:05 »
Hi Pete.  About two inches.
Stormin'    

Have Land Rover,
Will travel.
LR  90 2.8Tdi
76 Triumph Spitfire 1500
SJ 410 (Rolled and now a projet)
D.E.F.R.A. Destroying English Farming and Rural Areas.
www.memoryboxmedia.co.uk

Offline HI-CAP109

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 21:20:31 »
Hi Pete,

Buy the paras and gas shocks too, well worth the extra cost.

You will find you have a transformed wagon, it will follow the road undulations, and corner so much quicker and safer!!! The body will roll and give you the feedback multileaves never could, not a consideration to buy the old carts!

On a personal note, a couple of times when an 'idiot' has caused me to have to take fast evasive action, the paras react so much better they have definately saved the day, and I have not had to hit them. :wink:
Landrovers are like wives, sometimes you curse em, other times you wouldn't be without em!

malich

springs
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 17:37:23 »
Fitted  parabolic springs and gas shocks which took it up 3 inches performance off road is much better on the road is a lot smoother

Offline Pete5844

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 19:53:40 »
Thanks for the advice people,I've gone for the Parabolics and a set of Pro Camp ES3000 shocks so hope it's worth it.

Pete
Pete

Better Smeg than Dead

Landy Series 111
Pajero 2.5

Offline Pete5844

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 18:39:12 »
Can anyone tell me should the shackles that go with the parabolic springs be longer than standard.The ones supplied to me were exactly the same as the original ones and this leaves the shockers nearly fully compressed.

Pete
Pete

Better Smeg than Dead

Landy Series 111
Pajero 2.5

Offline HI-CAP109

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 19:11:06 »
Hi Pete,

I have heard this before, dampers are made in different lengths, so check with your supplier to see if they have supplied correctly, the axle should be able to reach the stops, but most never can, due to the dampers being too long!  :?  :shock:
Landrovers are like wives, sometimes you curse em, other times you wouldn't be without em!

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 19:56:51 »
Quote from: "HI-CAP109"
but most never can, due to the dampers being too long!  :?  :shock:

Usually because the bump stops are too short...   bump stops are one of the most frequently forgotten parts of a suspension lift.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 20:07:12 »
Quote from: "muddyweb"

Usually because the bump stops are too short...   bump stops are one of the most frequently forgotten parts of a suspension lift.

Speaking of which...  Don't I need to buy some :?
--

Offline Pete5844

Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 22:43:40 »
Help me here people should I have got new bump stops when I got the parabolic springs and how long does it take for the Mud Club stickers to be sent out I've been waiting over two weeks now.

Pete
Pete

Better Smeg than Dead

Landy Series 111
Pajero 2.5

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Parabolic Springs
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 23:06:01 »
I shall pester Tim about your stickers tommorow morning when he gets up, don't know why they've taken so long, but with the post office being what it is at present there's probably someone in bermuda a little confused as to what to do with those stickers.  

They're probably in the same place as those bits I ordered... grumble.

Anyhow.

The bump stops on the motor are an important part, especially when your axle is at the full extent of it's articulation.  If only because they stop it hitting the chassis.   In a coil sprung motor they can also provide leverage and all sorts of other things, but in a series you'd be lucky to get that kind of travel ;)

Still, I'd look at getting a replacement set and possibly getting longer ones  if need be.  With parabolics you're running a little higher, so really you should get some longer ones.
--

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal