AuthorTopic: Fuel pump optimisation by Van Aaken  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Andy.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel pump optimisation by Van Aaken
« on: August 10, 2003, 00:59:25 »
OK then, its been touched on somewhat in another thread but I thought I'd start a fresh topic so all info can be put in here.

So the benefits?

Cost?

DIY job or garage?
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Darren

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2003, 14:07:19 »
Benefits: Approximately 135bhp and 250 ft.lb of torque.
Less effort (i.e. fuel) forthe same performance, or more performance  :lol:

Cost: £385.00 in January 2002.

DIY or garage: It's a service offered by Van Aaken carried out in their own workshop. As I understand it, it involves adjusting and recalibrating the high pressure fuel pump and on some engines (although not the 300tdi) the turbo. It takes best part of a day and they are located in Crowthorne in Berkshire. I'm fortunate in that they are about 3 miles from my house :o

The difference was immediately noticeable and I'm very pleased with the result.
Darren

"Life's too short for polish"

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 18:26:56 »
Ouch £385.00 quid hmm..... best start saving then :wink:
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Darren

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 18:38:24 »
Yeah, I know. It's about the same (if not more) for a bigger intercooler but the Van Aaken approach is an "invisible" modification. Plus, it doesn't have the potential to interfere with the normal engine cooling, which was a big consideration at the time as I was just about to head off to the Sahara :!:
Darren

madtam

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 12:21:55 »
Although it might not interfere with the engine cooling, I would have thought it would have increased the engine heating. I don't know how much but I am sure the exhaust gas temperature increases when you increase the fueling. An extra that I have seen recomended is to add an EGR temperature sensor to monitor this. I think it only becomes a problem if the engine is held at full power for some time, such as a long hill climb with a trailer etc.
There are instructions out there on how to carry out similar "improvemets" on a DIY basis. Increasing the size of the intercooler at the same time will help because this takes the internal charge temperature down so helping to cool things in general.

Offline Moose

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 20:29:42 »
Darren, was it you I gave the VA guys, name to about a discount ??? it may not of being.

If not, I cannot remember who, but one DOC member was going to ring.
Chris Gorvin

Shiny Blue Crew 002 -2004 Discovery TD5 'Monte'
Shiny Blue Crew 012 - 2002 Suzuki Jimny 'Jimbo'
2002 Avondale Rialto 550-4 'Dopey'

ICQ 337908510
www.off.road.club4x4.net
www.northmidlands-doc.co.uk
http://community.webshots.com/user/shinymoose

Offline Darren

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 23:08:09 »
Madtam,

As I understand it, the optimisation isn't just an increase in fueling. It's the mechanical equivalent of re-mapping the fueling over the rev range to get maximum efficiency. I don't profess to understand exactly how it's done but I can tell you that it doesn't increase the engine temperature.

In June I went on holiday to Norway towing our 1 tonne expedition trailer, which included frequent long (i.e. continuous for up to an hour) climbs up improbably steep mountian roads. The only time the engine temperature varied from normal was on the long descents when the temp. went down!
Darren

Offline Darren

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 23:10:13 »
Chris, I'm ashamed to admit it was me you gave the contact details to and I never got round to doing anything about it.  :oops:

I'll add it to my 'things to do' list and drop in next time I drive past.
Darren

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 09:15:22 »
Quote from: "Darren"
Madtam, I don't profess to understand exactly how it's done but I can tell you that it doesn't increase the engine temperature.

Most Land Rover engines are over-cooled in standard trim, so I'd be surprised if you saw an increase in overall temperature.

The key issue is the heat distribution in the engine.  If (for example) the changes in mapping and fuelling cause an increase in the localised temperature of the head, then there may be long term detriment.  This is of course all a bit theoretical, since I don't have any specific evidence for this particular modification.

The uprated intercooler has the benefit of reducing the induction air temperature, so increased boost can be achieved.  The open-core of an uprated intercooler shouldn't interfere with engine cooling.

But... IMHO, adding a larger intercooler alone will not provide you with great increases in power or torque.  You would also need to change the fuelling and boost set up to see any real benefit.

Just a few random thoughts :-)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Darren

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2003, 23:19:10 »
Dunno Tim. All I can say is that I've done more than 20 000 miles since the optimisation was carried out, including a 3000 mile trip to the Sahara and a 2000 mile trip across Norway, and there have been no problems so far. The engine (and the rest of the vehicle) has now done about 132k.
Darren

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal