AuthorTopic: Diesel Starter motors  (Read 4604 times)

Offline graham2306

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Diesel Starter motors
« on: March 07, 2004, 15:42:06 »
Why are diesel starter motors so much more expensive?  I guess they have to be more efficient to turn over the higher compression.

Anyway the one I have is knackered, still turns it over but very slowly, heats up the earth strap and kills the battery.   I've got another one in the spares collection but I know the solenoid and windings are knackered on that.   Any one know how difficult it is to fit new bushes, cos they are only £1.36 and the cheapest I can find a new starter is £76 from Paddocks.  I'd rather spend £1.36 on new bushes and see if that cures it.
It's not a real car unless it's over 30 years old!
Classic cars are the ones who's owners wave to each other. I just bought a pretend car! F plate 90!

N.Oxon GLASS Rep

Offline MADMAN

Attack Member
Diesel Starter motors
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 20:50:05 »
HI
IF YOU FIT NEW BRUSHES TO YOUR OLD STARTER MAKE SURE THAT YOU CLEAN THE COMMUTATOR ( COPPER SEGMENTS ) WITH FINE EMERY CLOTH & IF THE MICA INSULATION BETWEEN THE SEGMENTS IS FLUSH WITH THE SURFACE IT WILL NEED CUTTING BACK ABOUT 0.5MM
I USE A JNR HACKSAW BLADE
CUT THE END OFF AND FLATEN THE SET OF THE TEETH WITH A HAMMER ON A HARD SURFACE YOU CAN THEN CUT THE MICA WITHOUT CUTTING THE COPPER
IF ALL ELSE FAILS I HAVE A 2.25 DIESEL STARTER & AM OPEN TO OFFERS
GOOD LUCK
REGARDS DUNCAN :wink:
93RRC 200TDI MANUAL
235/70/16 AMAZONS ON COMPONENT RIMS

Offline graham2306

Attack Member
Diesel Starter motors
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 10:12:28 »
Cheers Duncan
I stripped down the starter off the vehicle and the other knackered on I had in the garage and from the two have now built one working starter and one pile of bits.

WD40 works a treat for cleaning the commutator and the mica was OK thanks.

Graham
It's not a real car unless it's over 30 years old!
Classic cars are the ones who's owners wave to each other. I just bought a pretend car! F plate 90!

N.Oxon GLASS Rep

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal