AuthorTopic: Waxoil or what?  (Read 5271 times)

Offline Ollie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Waxoil or what?
« on: February 23, 2004, 09:57:04 »
Lucille's gonna need some underbody protection from all that mud and stuff that she's going to be getting into shortly.
She still has some of her original manufacturers coating on the chassis, but after 130k road miles, it's wearing off.
I want to apply suitable protection, the chassis is in execellent nick, and I want it to stay that way

So, what's the best method, Waxoil :?  DIY or pay someone to do it :?:
Are there anyother ways of protecting the chassis :?:
Do you have to get rid of all the rust before you waxoil, or can you add a suitable rust eater first :?:

The mine fields getting bigger.

Ollie.
sex is the breakfast of champions

Mostie

Waxoil or what?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 11:39:53 »
Hi Ollie,

My 90 is going to get a good slosh of waxoil, probably in the spring. I have had quite a few tips and tricks given to me in the last couple of weeks.

First off- no reason not to do it yourself, it sounds as easy as it gets. If you can get some ramps or something to improve access it'll help.

Preferably jet wash and then wire brush off everything, the better job you do here the better and easier the rest will be. Then youre right, apply a rust eater type product which will chemically stop rust and turn it black. Then (and this is where youll hear of loads of different techniques) the wax oil.

One of my workshop technicians suggests using old engine oil, deisel and waxoil as its cheaper alternative, and a friend suggests watering it down with (i think petrol, but dont quote me on it) and then using a few disposable garden sprayers to coat the underside of the car. In this way, although the nossels will block with wax, if you have a few at the ready, you just chuck one and fill up another. Using a sprayer of some kind is advisable as it will get into all the knooks and crannies that water and grime will get into.  
Another friend used an airline to spray his. Not sure about blocking with the compressor- it might have been powerful enough to blast it all through.

And all said just cover everything, chasis steering you name it!

Have fun! Rich and I are going to do his rangie and my 90 together for a laugh.....if you can call it that!

Ross.

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Waxoil or what?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 22:44:06 »
Could be made a bit easier (if you've got a compressor and you're doing the inside of the chassis) by using a proper shultz gun designed to be used with waxoil. It has a pipe and multi jet nozzle. Get the waxoil warm to thin it out and make sure you don't get it on you. It's a pig to get off.

Also if you have a drain cleaning adapter for a power washer it's easy enough to get the drain cleaner into the chassis via extra bolt holes.

I did this last year on my Disco and couldn't beleive the amount of muck and mud that was inside the chassis.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Waxoil or what?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 22:45:29 »
Ah forgot to mention. Mixing with petrol might not be a good idea. Diesel should be fine.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

ChrisW

Waxoil or what?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 20:48:18 »
Mix it with white spirit - that will thin it enough to spray it and the spirit will evaporate to leave just the waxoil.

Used engine oil is very nasty stuff, carcinogenic and all that - steer clear!

Offline Red Defender

Attack Member
  • Red Defender
Waxoil or what?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 12:10:01 »
i used to own a long wheel base series 3 and i waxoiled it myself and it took me 3 days by the time id jet washed it and brushed the chassis down and then finally applied it.

so when i purchased my 90 recently i figured i needed to protect my investment and was thinking to my self here we go again when i spotted in land rover owner a rather large advert for a waxoiling treatment by a guy in newbury for about £400 so i went for it and i was well inpreded by the results for so little money - id recomend it to anyone its well worth the money :P[/list]

Offline Ollie

Attack Member
Waxoil or what?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 14:44:04 »
Red Defender,
Yup, I agree, and have booked Lucille in for her all over body treatment with Joe Edwards of Bedford next week. He'll do the whole lot for 180+dreaded Tax :D  How will this compare to a £400 job, dunno, but I've gone for the cheapest I can find. I suppose Time will tesll if it was worth it :)

Cheers.
Ollie
sex is the breakfast of champions

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal