AuthorTopic: LPG conversion  (Read 4630 times)

offoradmedic

LPG conversion
« on: February 20, 2004, 13:31:47 »
OK folks, need your help here. As a medic I am not all that clued up on engines, more.. "body-work". So,

I have a Range Rover Classic, 3.5l V8 EFi Auto Estate reg'd in 29 Nov 1987 with 61K on the clock (yes genuine). Vehicle needs converting and as usual mechanics have stated: MUST be multipoint - preferably a PRINS system and others state: MUST NOT be multipoint as there is no CO2 sensor. Therefor suitable for a cheaper single point system.

Question is therefor: What the hell do I do, I need reliability, no noisy back-fires and the tanks must be underbody.

I am really at a loss, the difference is £2300 for the multipoint and £1200 for the single point.

What do you guys recommend and it is, of course, appreciated.

straightshooter

LPG conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 20:23:51 »
can't believe you've been quoted so much first of all? Multi point is better from what I can understand you get a better mix and reliability is better try some of the land rover mags for a better price!  :lol:

Offline Eeyore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
LPG conversion
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 20:56:45 »
Single point can be prone to the odd back fire, but it's almost always an indication that something is amiss in the engine and/or management system. Not, I would say, something to put you off.

SWMBO has single point fitted to her Disco and it has run faultlessly until, say, the valley gasket failed.

Multipoint (or 'gas phased injection'), when set up correctly is awesome, but I've met very few who can do it properly. And yes, it should be twice the price because the control systems are much more complex (it'll have its own management system) and there's a lot more plumbing involved.  When they go wrong - they are also very expensive (800 squid for the ECU?). They can provide superior performance to the single point system, but not sufficient in my book to justify the extra cost (in most cases). Highly tuned engines would benefit from it but otherwise.......

1200 squid for a fitted single point system sounds about right - just make sure they can supply all the right certificates. Oh, make sure you have at least 70ltrs capacity (35 in each tank).

Underbody gas tanks present very few problems and are stronger than the floor they will be hiding under. They will deform the floor long before you put a dent in 'em! Hence a friend (with multipoint on a 300hp Rangie classic) has two mounds by his back doors from the gas tanks!

Hope this is useful

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

stuart-is

LPG for the medic
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 12:26:51 »
I am not sure where you live butif you are close to somerset / devon there is a company that do their own underslung tanks which hold slightly more gas. Topsham based can not remember the  name but if that is not suitable single point will be more than adequate for your requirements. They only ever back fire if running to weak or you have an existing fault on your vehicle already. The lpg tends to magnify any faults already there.
Hope this helps.
Stu

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
LPG
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 00:52:52 »
Have a talk to Chris Perfect, writer for one of the magazines, and vendor for Iwema LPG kits before you spend any money, even if you buy elsewhere you will know what to get and what to avoid.
With a decent set up and ignition advance processor (LPG burns slower than petrol so you can advance the timing) there is little loss in power with a single point system and no electrics to screw up.  Also multipoint systems suffer a lot worse from dirty fuel, and all fuel is dirty.  Forecourts should clean their tanks regularly but they don't so we end up with cack in our tanks!
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal