AuthorTopic: 1977(ish) SWB Series III - oil on brakes  (Read 4750 times)

dapleb

1977(ish) SWB Series III - oil on brakes
« on: February 16, 2004, 20:50:12 »
Hello,

I have LOTS of oil (not brake fluid) finding its way on to my OSF brake shoes, is this a common problem?

There is a small leak from the swivel pin housing but this doesn't look like the cause. Could it be the main axle casing oil seal that has given up? I'm sure the cause will become apparent with some digging, but would appreciate some advice.

Cheers
dapleb

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 21:13:06 »
Sounds like the axle oil seal.

Make sure that when you do change it (it's not a terrible job) that you also check the axle breather (little bit screwed into the top) to see if it's blocked.  This is a common reason for the failure of the oil seals.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dapleb

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 07:41:41 »
Thanks for the response and advice muddyweb much appreciated.

Cheers
dapleb

Offline Frankie-Boy

• Administrator
    Attack Member
  • Hello to anyone lol
    • Northampton, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 10:34:29 »
Make sure you jack the axle as high as possible when taking the hub and old seal apart, it helps keep in whatever oil is left in the axle, otherwise it'll end up on yer driveway.
Frank Bayley,
Administrator
email:- frank.bayley@ntlworld.com

Mostie

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 16:18:04 »
Sounds like I have a similar problem on my 90. This is going to be next weekends job (replacing the seals and doing bearings at the same time), is there an idiot proof method of testing the breather pipes?

Also has anyone tried using those tubes of grease that go in the hubs instead of ep90? fancy I might give it a try because at least itll have less tndancy to leak if i dont get it right!

dapleb

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 19:48:37 »
Just to report back.  Replaced the seal in the axle casing and all sorted.  Replaced the swivel while there and used the tube grease......seems to work fine Mostie, no leaks and nice and simple to squidge it in to the housing.

To check the breathers you could just check that the spring mech is still working.  or just remove it and inspect.  Mine was stuck in the open position.  They are cheap enough that its worth replacing them anyway if they are suspect.  

Cheers
dapleb

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 13:01:54 »
Quote from: "Mostie"
Sounds like I have a similar problem on my 90. This is going to be next weekends job (replacing the seals and doing bearings at the same time), is there an idiot proof method of testing the breather pipes?  

If it's got a pipe on it then I'd just disconnect it from the axle and blow through it with an airline.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline matthew

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 13:04:37 »
Quote from: "dapleb"

To check the breathers you could just check that the spring mech is still working.  or just remove it and inspect.  Mine was stuck in the open position.  They are cheap enough that its worth replacing them anyway if they are suspect.  

I think 90 / 110, Disco etc actually have a pipe attached to the breather. Not like the series breather.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline Dangermouse

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 01:15:46 »
Yes thay do routed to the top of the engine compartment at the back if fitted  DM :)
Cheer's.......DM
If it's shiney something must have fell off

Landrover 90 with a 2.5 dead engine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal