AuthorTopic: Too hot!  (Read 4976 times)

Offline clover

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Clover
  • Referrals: 0
Too hot!
« on: February 11, 2004, 20:17:05 »
Hi all

My series 3 diesel has a problem with hotspots I think.

It recently had to have a new water pump and radiator fitted (due to the demise of the last ones when the fan propellored into the rad and jiggered everything).

Since then she gets very hot according to the gauge (new sender unit fitted to no avail).

There are no signs of it boiling up at the radiator end - you can take the cap off when its in the red and there is no steam or anything. The water feels hot but not so hot you can't stick your finger in it .

Its not loosing water.

I'm assuming it must be hotspots but what can I do about them?
1996 Discovery 300TDi Affectionately known as Clover. 
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,
Fine English engineering modified to work!

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Too hot!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 22:17:46 »
Is the thermostat opening properly?
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Too hot!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 22:51:23 »
Thermostat is one course, rad cap is another possibility.
Check the top & bottom hoses for heat
You could check the voltage to the gauge, not sure if they are regulated down on them or not

kev
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
Too hot!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 06:48:27 »
Hi

I have replaced the radiator cap as well.

The thermostat is opening... whether its opening "properly" is another matter altogether!

I'm going to whip it out this morning and see what difference that makes.

Cheers all

John
Cooper Discover STT 33/12.50/R15, a 2" body lift off chassis. H/D springs with 50mm platform spacers on the rear. Nothing on the front as they foul the shocks :-) 11" travel rough country shocks and mountings with dislocating spring cones,  adjusted wheel arches, safari snorkel. H/D rear bumper, demountable drop plate,. H/D steering guard, QT diff guards.
tree sliders, Split charge running twin Optima's, spotlight bar with 4 whoppers on it, H/D winch bumper, 12,000lbs winch,  A bar with 2 50w mini spotlights, brownchurch full length roof rack. 2 work lights.CB,

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Too hot!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 09:09:39 »
definately looking more elctrical than mechanical at the moment, when you removed the rad  cap while the temp was hot was there no pressure behind the cap?

kev
Kev

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
Too hot!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 09:41:09 »
Hi

Yes there was some pressure there.

I am wondering if the stat is wedged open and won't allow the 'bypass' water to flow in the head enough.

Soon find out if I take the stat out!

I'll let you all know

Regards

John

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Too hot!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 09:46:11 »
Still sounds more like electrical, if the temp was sky high, it would have reupted like a volcano when you tried to take off the cap, I'm using an electric fan & forgot to switch it on once, the temp took off and the system bubbled merrily, had to release the pressure to cool it down

kev
Kev

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
Too hot!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 16:20:17 »
Hi

Removed stat and all seems fine now.

The stat was a little bit the worst for wear.

Cheers all

John

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Too hot!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 18:28:08 »
Nice one, glad i was wrong, its a pain with these old electrics, are you fitting another one or just leaving it for a while?
You should prob try an 88 degree stat for this time of year, mind you mine once it is moving never gets that hot, even with the fan switched off
Kev

Offline clover

Attack Member
  • Clover
Too hot!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 19:05:24 »
Hi

I think I'll just not bother for the moment. Pig sick of working on the cooling system after having had it all apart several times now.

:shock:

John

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Too hot!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 19:20:04 »
You know what they say, practice makes perfect  :D

Yes I know when I changed the stat in the v8 it took three attempts to sort it out.

But you may find it getting a bit chilly after a while

Good luck

Kev
Kev

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Too hot!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 20:51:09 »
Then it won't seal.
Then the threads strip....

It goes on and on...

Ed
Ed