AuthorTopic: Off-Road ability  (Read 4328 times)

j.d.clarke

Off-Road ability
« on: February 10, 2004, 16:12:37 »
Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a 1987 Defender 2.5TD Pickup, which I will be using for farming duties and some laning / off-roading maybe RTV, simple question really..... the Defender seems to have less grip in mud than I was hoping for and I would like to improve this. It's currently running on 16 X 5.5 inch Series III Landy rims and old All Terrain tyres.

Will some larger (wider) rims and Mud Terrains make a great deal of difference ?

Thanks,

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Off-Road ability
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 20:56:10 »
A mud-pattern tyre will make a lot of difference, you don't need to go especially wide or large to gain traction.

Changing to a wider rim would probably be worth looking into, as the more common   mud sizes will need a 6.5 -7.5" rim.

Hope this helps.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
Off-Road ability
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 21:22:31 »
I run mine on 265/75*16s and find it to be ok in the mud

I wouldnt go any wider though.

regards dave
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

tim in Scotland

Mud Tyres
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 22:10:50 »
When my last set of Goodrich A/Ts started to get a bit too worn for playing I replaced them with a set of the same from the local Budget Tyres Centre for £90 a tyre, including valves, balancing and fitting. As the price ended up at about 1/3rd of the price originally quoted I then went to Bronco and bought a set Grizzly Claws complete with steel wheels, nuts, balancing, valves and also next day delivery to Central Scotland for another £90 each.......  The Grizzlies are great offroad and are a mud tyre, I get to places now that I used to dream of going on the A/Ts.
The Goodrich's are 265 75R16s and the Grizzlies are 265 75R15s.
Driving on tar roads is a "different" experience and you will notice a reduction in grip and braking efficiency - I just keep the speed down to 50-55 when I'm running on tar on the Grizzlies. The A/T's are superb on the road and pretty good offroad too.
Bronco is at www.bronco.co.uk and they are great at giving you advice too.

Tim

Offline Kenny

Attack Member
Off-Road ability
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 08:49:14 »
As said I find that the Mud Tyres are essential.

In my 2.5 NA I did not worry too much about road noise as it could'nt get much worse without and carpets or headling so I opted for some Colway Re-moulds 3 years ago, 235/85/16 I think. Still running them.

Although a softer tyres have lasted very well and the remould does not bother me as have you ever seen a 90 2.5 NA doing 0-60 in less that 6 minutes.

When I do get to replace them I will opt for a branded one with re-inforced side walls, have to get some cash first though.

As to other off road ability the 90 out of the factory is a very capable off and on road vehicle. There are loads of tweaks to make it go better like sand ladders and spot lights ;) but then personally I would concentrate on the suspension, bushes, under body protection (dont forget the track rod) and sill protection. You don't need to spend a fortune there are loads of un-branded products that are just as good if not better than their branded brothers.

Well now off to the dump which just happens to go past my local Land Rover garage so I'll have to stop in and get some new spot lights :)

Damian
Animal, ex BT Land Rover ninety
http://www.my90.co.uk

Too many bits too list..........

j.d.clarke

Off-Road ability
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 13:29:52 »
Thanks guys, I already have some 2nd hand BF Goodrich 235/85/16 Mud Terrains so will probably put those on some new 7x16 rims (cheap 8 spoke white or similar) , unless I can find some 2nd hand steel 7X16s somwhere. After that will probably get some new Bronco's or similar.

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Off-Road ability
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 21:00:07 »
Quote from: "Kenny"
have you ever seen a 90 2.5 NA doing 0-60 in less that 6 minutes.

<cough>  Ahem !!   4.0 V8  8)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal