AuthorTopic: Freelander - Overheating?  (Read 3525 times)

somerset

Freelander - Overheating?
« on: July 19, 2005, 15:17:28 »
Hi, all!

New member based in Somerset (hence the handle - no original thinking here!)  I own a 2002 2.5V6 GS and have been thrilled with it.  However, it has now had three engines!  

It was perfect from new until it started overheating after about 6 months and the dealer (Taunton Land Rover) said it was the head gasket (hey! hey! it's not only the 1.8!) and needed a new engine.  This was done, and ever since then, the cooling fan ran almost continuously - according to the dealer this was perfectly normal.  We lived like this until the damn thing started overheating and blowing hoses again about 2 years later.  After insisting that they take the problem seriously the dealer eventually did agree that there was a slipped cylinder lining and fitted another new engine after 60,000 miles. Since then (and a replacement 'box - another story) we haven't heard a peep out of the fan ...

My question is this:  Has anyone else driving a petrol freelander (particularly a V6) experienced this condition of the cooling fan running practically continuously when under 20mph?  (I happened to hear a 1.8 doing it the other day)  And have you been told it's "normal?"

I can't believe the temerity of the dealer saying this was normal!  What's worse is that Land Rover themselves wouldn't entertain any possibility of their dealer being wrong.

Offline Eeyore

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 16:17:07 »
Interestin' one, this un.

I'll ask about some of the folk I know, but also you might like to try droppin' the either the Freelander Club or MAD Freelanders a line.

http://www.freelanderclub.co.uk/contact.html
http://www.mad-freelanders.org.uk/contactus.html

It's the first I've 'eard of it, but I'm no expert in Freebies, I'm afraid.

Nice to see another member from the homelands! :wink:
Welcome in, BTW!

cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline graham bishop

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 17:20:46 »
Its my first post on this forum.

You could also try www.freelanderowners.com this is a really helpful forum for freelander related problems.
Graham Bishop

Ford Ranger Thunder in Black
Freelander gone.

JeepCher53

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 18:57:58 »
I had an engine problem earlier this year with my diesel Freelander in that one of the glow plugs could not be removed and was causing bad starting. Took it to my dealer who thought I was nuts (must be 'cause I'm a woman) and said "they'd take a look". I was right and the vehicle was still under warranty.  Yes, I had hell to play with them. Took Hubby (Tazman) in as my ace card.  "We'll get this fixed straight away".  A chap from Land Rover came to inspect the Freelander and told the dealer to "get on with it"!
The story here is and perhaps elsewhere: don't accept what they say. Keep on at them, quote your rights if needs be but a cooling fan running continously IS NOT RIGHT IS IT MR DEALSHIP :evil:
On a seperate visit to collect parts, I bumped into a guy who looks after dealers for Land Rover.  I told him exactly what I thought.  He took notes and went on his way in his new Defender :roll:

somerset

You're right
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 00:57:58 »
The story here is and perhaps elsewhere: don't accept what they say. Keep on at them, quote your rights if needs be but a cooling fan running continously IS NOT RIGHT IS IT MR DEALSHIP

You're right of course.  

I did keep on to both the dealer and Land Rover themselves (who incidentally offered me £1000 off a new Land Rover "as a gesture of goodwill as I "disliked" my Freelander" - Grrr, no admission of the fact it wasn't working right) who eventually stopped taking my calls and told me there was nothing wrong "because the dealer said so."

This is the thing: I did keep on at them and it took me over two years to get anything done... I won in the end, but it shouldn't be such hard work, should it?

PS thanks for giving the guy from LR a hard time! tehe!  

Cheers

Chris

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal